Better Sounding Youtube Videos

Lenoh

I am looking for a way to make my youtube videos sound better. When I upload the videos they sound like crap in 360 & 480. I have tried exporting video in wmv and mp4 formats. The songs sound good before the upload, granted they are not of pro studio quality but decent. Songs are lacking in the high frequencies basically sound like a bad real media file.

I would appreciate the info on this topic, I have been looking into this problem on and off for the last month or so.

Load a commercial hit into a software that shows the waveform, and you'll se that it almost fills the entire space, as opposed to showing the limits of the transients, which means they've pumped the snot out of it with compressors, and limiters.
That's what you want to do to be competitive, get it as balls to the walls as you can, trust me, it works, just beware of distortion.

My $.02

you tube

i had a similar problem when i started uploading video to you tube
instaed of using mp3's in the project i started using wav files in the videos and this marginally improved the sound qaulity but to imho i think its the compression they use and theres not a lot you can do about it.
hope this helps

just started uploading few. I am going to do some comparisons when I get more of them up so will check back a bit later. The ones I have so far sound okay by my own ears. I haven't done anything special to them except a few fade ins etc.

What software are you using to edit/create the videos? Roxio Creator allows a choice of output formats, I choose the highest quality.

Even if you choose the highest quality, you tube limits/compresses the file to its maximum capacity whilst uploading it. There isn't a way around that. I'm just starting to get to work out how you tube works as I never really paid much attention to it but not matter what quality file I upload the end sounding result is nearly always the same. Don't they have a paid/premium subscription where you are allowed some quality advantages?

i've only just uploaded my first youtube videos. i think they sound pretty good compared to the raw video on my computer.

The only precaution i took was to leave lots of headroom on my recordings. i didn't bother with master comps or limiters.

I am having the same problem. I tried to match a WAV file of the audio to the video in Logic, Garageband iMovie. Monday I will try Final Cut HD. But if anyone has other suggestions or knows anything about making Music Videos let me. As I will if I get this fixed.

Back