Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Win7>Win10

Thanks

Win7>Win10

Sign in to disable this ad
    OK guys, I just tried this. I like Win10. Win7 was good, but time to move for me.
    So I purchased a laptop from one of our fellow members and it still had Win7 as he didn't want to go to Win10. It was passed the upgrade time, so I thought OK, it will work but ... I really wanted everything on the same OS level. I was contemplating to purchasing Win10 upgrade or something then I ran across this article:

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade | ZDNet

Which includes this link:

Download Windows 10

I tried it and now I have my laptop at Win10 and it is activated and everything is working fine.

I post this in case some of you are having second thoughts. You can still upgrade.
    DM60 Tunes: The Collection

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DM60 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Glad you didn't purchase an upgrade license. I, too, thought I was past the free upgrade period until recently. Last month, I upgraded my desktop to Win10 for free, probably based on the advice of the same article. Now I'm comfortable enough with Win10 to not want to kill myself, but I hope they don't put out another o/s any time soon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chili For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think that the windows license code is either a before upgrade for free or after. So if your win 7 is within a couple of years of the intro of win10 the license should be good for both
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    I'm not certain there's even an expiration date anymore.

W10 received such a lackluster reception that MS might've gotten slack on it. Not everyone went W10; many W7 didn't even want W10; and a few had it taken off. After all, the CPU still wears a license code for W7 so it's easy to reinstall.

Back in the early 90s, MS did something kinda cool. Realizing that the only thing worse than people copying their software was people simply ignoring their software, they made Excel basically copy-free. They played the long game. So Excel was pirated absolutely everywhere. You could walk into Kinko's and copy it off their computers. (uh..... so i'm told...) After Excel went everywhere, everyone else got squeezed out. Some very good titles that are now no longer around.

I just bring this up because i think they're taking that tack again with W10. They're not gonna give it away. But MS has more than once left the gate unlocked to build user base and from what I've heard, upgrading to W10 might be one of them. They were gonna be strict, but now, I'm told, not so much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Now I'm comfortable enough with Win10 to not want to kill myself, but I hope they don't put out another o/s any time soon.
    Well...with that kind of view...I'm quick running now to upgrade my Win 7 to Win 10!!!

NOT!

I've got three laptops, two I use...well, one I use, the second is like a mirrored backup...and the third one is just sitting around completely unused. I turn it on occasionally just to let it update with A/V patches and whatnot...but maybe it's going to be my sacrificial lamb for a Win 10 upgrade.
    All three of these were set up just under 2 years ago, Nov/Dec 2017...so that was the first time the Win 7 licenses were registered with MS.
    I guess I should have at least one running Win 10...and then when I get "comfortable enough with Win10 to not want to kill myself"...I'll consider moving the other two.

My DAW system however will remain Win 7 indefinitely...and also offline, permanently.

Thanks
    I have two laptops and one desktop all running Win 7 still. One of the laptops and the desktop are licensed for 10 for sure(the desktop came with 7 installed and a disk with 10 so i don't even need to download a copy) and the third probably would take it but i ain't budging from 7 unless i absolutely have to!
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili View Post
    Glad you didn't purchase an upgrade license. I, too, thought I was past the free upgrade period until recently.
    Well, the first half of the story was I did upgrade to Win10 during the free period, but I hated it so much I went back to Win7. Cortana, whatta joke....

Then I thought I was past the free upgrade period, until recently.

For my day gig, I provide tech support for my company's products and all my customers are mandated to go to Win10 for IT security. I spend a lot of time remoting into customer PCs and I got used to Win10 so now it's not so bad. I don't see any real performance or functional improvement over Win7, it just looks different. In fact, I have noticed a performance degradation with some of our imaging products. Win7 seems to handle the higher data streams better than Win10.

Outside of the security updates, there's no real reason to go to Win10, but end of the year, MS stops security updates on Win7.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whome View Post
    why are you so in love with a social media toy that has a totally new UI to learn?
    In love??? How did you get that from anything I said?

Thanks
    I don't understand the fear of Win10. It's a great OS. Fast, stable, feature-rich...I've been using it happily for years on several different computers. All I've done is disable Cortana. It's been a reliable platform for media creation for me. And it's been a reliable platform for my development job, and for gaming, and for casual web surfing, and everything else I've asked it to do.

Win7 was a great OS, but it's days are over. I just don't get the attachment to it now that it's reached the end-of-life phase of its existence.

Thanks
    Win10 runs audio just fine. It had some various issues in the beginning.......just like Win7 did......but two things happened over time. The OS got better and worked out a few "bugs". And.....people have learned by using it.
    Just A Song Writer..........

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickster For This Useful Post:

Thread Information