Building a DAW - suggestions needed

melodik1

I was in the process of researching computer hardware when i stumbled across this forum, and was impressed with the honesty here. So I have decided to post my wishlist from newegg for y'all to tear apart. I will be using this system for music production and recording. I am a little bit unsure about the motherboard/cpu combo (do i really need the 800mhz frontside bus?) and the SATA drives (a little pricy) Ideally, I would like to compile a system for $500 or less - so if anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks

RAIDMAX Silver 10-bay Case without Power Supply, Model "ATX-228S" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Case Type: Mid-Tower Case
Color: Silver
Material: 0.7mm SECC Steel
Drive Bays: 5.25'' x4,3.5''(External) x2,3.5''(Internal) x4
Expansion Slots: 7
Front Ports: USB2.0 x2
Power Supply: N/A
Cooling System: 1x 80mm Side Case fan
Motherboard Compatibility: ATX Form Factor 12" x 10.5" or smaller
Dimensions: 7.8"Wx17.7"Dx17"H more info-> N82E16811156002 $19.00 $19.00

ASUS "P4P800 SE" i865PE Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium® 4/Celeron Processors(HT, Prescott Ready)
Chipset: Intel 865PE + ICH5R
FSB: 800/533/400MHz
RAM: 4x DIMM for Dual-Channel DDR400/333/266 Max 4GB(Hyper-Path)
IDE: 2x ATA 100 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 8X/4X, 5x PCI, 1x ASUS Wi-Fi
Ports: 2xPS/2, 1xLPT, 1xCOM, RCA SPDIF Out, 8xUSB2.0(Rear 4), 1xLAN, Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: ADI AD1985 6-Channel Audio
Onboard LAN: Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet
Onboard SATA/RAID: 2 x Serial ATA by ICH5R, RAID 0/1
Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813131484 $93.00 $93.00

Jaton nVIDIA GeForce MX4000 Video Card, 64MB DDR, TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "3DFORCE MX4000-64Twin" -RETAIL
Specifications:
Chipset/Core Speed: nVIDIA GeForce MX4000/Not Specified
Memory/Effective Speed: 64MB DDR/Not Specified
BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X/8X
Ports: 2x VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)
Support 3D API: DirectX 7, OpenGL 1.3
Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@75Hz
Cable/Accessories: Driver CD, Manual
Retail Box (See pics for details) more info-> N82E16814139160 $49.00 $49.00

Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 360W ATX power supply.Intel Pentium 4 Compliant
Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 360W
PFC: No
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
Hold-up Time: > 16ms at Full Load
Efficiency: > 65%
Over Voltage Protection: +5V trip point<+6.8V;+3.3V trip point<+4.5V;+12V trip point<+15.6V
Overload Protection: Not specified
Input Voltage: 115 VAC / 230 VAC
Input Frequency Range: 47Hz-63Hz
Input Current: 8.0A
Output: +3.3V@28A;+5V@35A;-5V@0.3A;+12V@17A;-12V@0.8A;+5VSB@2A
MTBF: Not specified
Approvals: UL, CSA, TUV, CE more info-> N82E16817153004 $40.00 $40.00

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail
Specifications:
Model: Intel Pentium 4 w/ Hyper Threading
Core: Northwood
Operating Frequency: 2.8GHz
FSB: 800MHz
Cache: L1/12K+8K; L2/512K
Voltage: 1.525V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket: Socket 478
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2
Warranty: 3-year MFG
Packaging: Retail box (with Heatsink and Fan) more info-> N82E16819116161 $179.00 $179.00

Kingston 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - Retail
Specifications:
Manufacturer: Kingston
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3-3-3
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820141424 $86.00 $172.00

NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive, Model FD1231H, OEM Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 1.44/0.72 MByte
Average Access Time: 3ms (Track to Track)
Interface: 34 Pin Standard Floppy Connector
Form: 3.5 inch
Media Type: 3.5" double-side high density, 3.5" double-side density
Features: Maximal performance in minimum space
Packaging: OEM Drive Only more info-> N82E16821152001 $9.99 $9.99

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 74GB
Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: High Performance SATA Interface
Manufacturer Warranty: 5 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only

vsd

more info-> N82E16822144160 $181.00 $181.00

Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD, OEM Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 36.7GB
Average Seek Time: 5.2 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: Not specified
Manufacturer Warranty: 5 years
Packaging: OEM Drive Only more info-> N82E16822144200 $118.00 $118.00

SONY Beige 52x32x52 IDE Internal CD-RW Drive, Model CRX230ED, OEM
Specifications:
Write Speed: 52X CD-R, 32X CD-RW
Read Speed: 52X CD-ROM
Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
Buffer: 2MB
OS Support: Windows XP/ 2000/ Me/ 98SE
Features: PowerBurn Conformed, VAS Vibration Reduction
Packaging: OEM (W/ CD Maker software) more info-> N82E16827106822 $28.99 $28.99

Subtotal » $ 889.98

Imo........

.I don't criticize cases so whatever looks good to you(might need more power though?).....
..IF you want the price down...drop the 36GB Raptor and get a Bigger Prallel ATA drive for your boot/applications drive...use the 74GB raptor as your recording drive.

You really use a floppy drive?

Other than that...you should be smoking.

Looks good...i agree though, you probably won't need the floppy. no one hardly uses that anymore and it'll save you a few bucks. second...the reason the SATA drives are so pricey is because of the RPMs you chose for it. Drop it down to 7200 and you'll see a price drop and should still be fine for what you want to do. Plus then you could upgrade one of them to 120GB and get more for the money. You also seem to have left off a heatsink/CPU fan. You'll definitely need one of those too. You might also look into firewire cards. A lot of gear now adays are switching over to firewire it seems. Plus they aren't that expensive. Speaking of the audio gear....what will you be using as a sound card?? If you're deciding on the onboard one, then I'd say try and set your sights on something better. M-Audio makes some great affordable ones. You'll also need an OS. Check out pricewatch.com as well for cheaper places to buy from than Newegg. Good luck! :cool:

P.S. here are some alternate solutions of stuff that you can look into. this is a list that i've been working on for myself for a computer i plan on building here soon:

Case: Linkworld 313G 400Watt (www.intropc.com) $26.25
case fan: w/case
Power supply: w/case

Motherboard: Fujitsu Siemens D1675 Socket 478 DDR MB With Pentium4 2.8Ghz 800FSB CPU & Fan
(www.partspc.com) $212.88

CPU: onboard
Heatsink/fan: with motherboard

Memory: Kingmax 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 (www.newegg.com) $81.00

Hard drive1: W. Digital 40GB (WD400BB-7200RPM) EIDE HARD DRIVE (www.cnetpc.com) $46.95

Hard drive2: Western Digital Caviar Hard drive 120GB, 7200 rpm (www.computergiants.com) $82.00

CD-RW: PlexWriter PX-W5224TA 52/24/52 (www.collerexpress.com) $53.00

Video card: ATI Radeon 7500 64MB DDR AGP Video Card (www.imagestore.us) $39.01

Firewire card: BELKIN PCI to 1394 Card (www.newegg.com) $40.99

LAN: onboard

TOTAL: $711.08+shipping+taxes

Good mobo choice. I run the P4P800 and a 2.8c P4, clocked to 3.5Ghz & stable.

Agree with comments on the HDs.

Are you getting 2 x 512MB ram? Check the model no. of that Kingston is on the Asus approved ram list

sounds like a good system... i think the first thing you'll end up upgrading once you have is the RAM though. I'm finding that 512 Ram just isn't enough. if you are into sampling, that really sucks up the RAM (with libraries like Garritan strings and Drumkit from hell) which recommend at least a gig of ram. You may also be able to find a motherboard with firewire built in, i don't know if that is cheaper but it is an option. Not too start the processor wars yet again, but my personal choice would be AMD. I like the AMD 64 3000+ and the motherboar: K8V. Just an option...

thanks for the input...

you all are right, i probably won't need the floppy... i'm just used to booting from one when the ship goes down, although i know with windows xp you can boot from the cd. As for the sound card, i forgot to mention that I already own an M-audio audiophile 2496, which is truly a dope card for the skrilla. I think the heatsink/fan is included with the processor if i'm not mistaken, and i am planning on purchasing 1gig of ram. Thanks for the tip about checking compatibility though, I completely overlooked that. Also thanks for the heads up on pricewatch.com, I'll have to check it out.

Any suggestions for quiet, fast parallel ATA drives? I like the prices that bennychico has on his list.

The Seagate Barracudas are reputed to be the quietest drives around.

I certainly don't hear a peep out of my pair

I would stay away from the AMD. Not for performance reasons, though. I use them in every computer in my house (5 in all), but use a P4 in my DAW. Only because in the future if you upgrade, AMD chipsets can be kinda picky sometimes when it comes to compatibility with some hardware and software. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Never happens with the Pentium. Just better safe than sorry. However, stay away from the Celeron.
I'm not trying to jump into the AMD/P4 war. AMD is the only thing I have ever used in my own systems (and I have built many), and they are a far better value for a home PC. However, I know how the chipsets can be funny about somethings, and when it came to building my DAW I went with the one that would give me the least compatibility problems on future upgrades.
P.S. If you are thinking you will never upgrade or add anything, please put the "newbie" name tag on, and be patient while the rest of us laugh. I don't know how many times I've said to my wife after buying new gear "...but this is the last piece I will ever need. I promise I won't ever buy anymore". Always consider possible future expansion when it comes to building a PC, and even more so when building a DAW.

sorry, i have not tested these. this was actually on a site that was recommended by someone else on this forum. the only information i know about them is what they have on the site. however, they seem to go in great detail about how to figure out if your hard drive will work well with their product. It seems that if your drive is too hot to touch, then you probably should consider something else. Near the bottom they do state:

"If your particular drive does run too hot for its own safety then the SilentDrive™ can be returned for a refund. But the vast majority of drives on the market today are easily capable of running inside the SilentDrive™ at greatly reduced operating noise without any risk of overheating, and your temperature-sensitive sticker will prove it! To date we have not had a single return made due to the drive running too hot while enclosed."

I think it might be worth trying out. It's only 28 bucks....with a promise of a full refund if not satisfied. Sorry again guys. I was more suggesting it as a possible opportunity.......not recommending it.

got my machine together

ok, finally got everything i need. just wanted to say thanks for everybody's input here- you all are awesome. Here's what I ended up buying:

antec sonata case w/380 watt silent psu and 120mm case fan.
asus p4p800e-deluxe
p4 2.8 ghz northwood
1 gig kingston ddr400
(2) seagate barracuda sata drives (80 gb & 200 gb)
jaton mx4000-64twin agp graphics card
lite on 52-32-52 cdr

i have an m audio audiophile 2496, and will be transfering it from my old hp into my new melodik1box :D . can't wait to get the thing up and running. what kind of system do you have?

Your motherboard says it supports Dual Channel DDR. Make sure you get memory that also is "Dual Channel". Look into the Geil Golden Dragon memory. http://www.geilusa.com It never gets hot and it doesn't even need a heat spreader.

You will indeed need a floppy drive to install Windows XP onto a SATA hard drive. Most modern SATA controllers are not supported by XP without loading a third party driver from floppy during the install process.

The Raptor drives come with these drivers on CD but they make you copy them onto a floppy in order to use them.

the kingstons are supported by the mobo and function as dual-channel ddr, it is unnecessary to buy ram packaged as "dual channel." As long as you have the same make and model of ram chips (and they are supported by the motherboard), then they will function as dual channel ddr.

also, windows xp found my s-ata drives without the need for a floppy disk. However, I'm gonna install a floppy drive soon, its kind of like having a tape deck - you never know when you're gonna need it!

Yes, some motherboards make it so you don't need the driver. That is good then. My MSI mobo worked without the driver, (one sata drive, not a raid array) but my Epox board did require the driver on floppy. I was just making you aware of the possible hurdle.

You are right about wanting a floppy drive anyway. It is like that little bell on your tricycle. You don't really need it, but it is nice to have on occasions. They are cheap enough that it won't bust your budget. Although, some folks just use USB drives to transfer small files. Either way works.

A lot of dual channel mobos are color coding the memory slots to represent the different channels. Channel A will be one color and channel B another. Put one stick of mem in each color slot.

Hey, good for you. It sounds like you know what you are doing then. Good luck with it.

Back