TSR-8 remote?

EDAN

Is the "RC-408" the correct remote for the TSR-8? Any other remotes that work as well? Can't find an RC-408 on ebay recently, any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, the RC-408 was designed for it. It's the only simple remote that I know of that will work with the TSR-8. Another option is the Tascam MTS-1000 Midiizer. It's a large and very elaborate MIDI synchronizer with an integrated remote.

I know the RC-808 does not work on the TSR-8. It’s for Tascam DTRS like the DA-88 or DA-38. From the layout it looks like it could work, but is different internally from the RC-408.

The only other one I’m not sure about is the RC-88 for the 238 cassette multitrack. It looks very similar to the RC-408, but I have no idea if it would work.

I haven’t seen the RC-408 on ebay lately, but they do pop up from time to time.

-Tim :)

I have an rc408 boxed up somewhere around here. Because the tsr8 here has mostly only been used with a Midiizer all these years, I've only used the 408 a few times with it. If the offer were right, I might sell it. What have these things been going for when you all see them around? If it's only just a few bucks, I'll keep mine if only for the historical value.

By the way, if you have no remote, the Midiizer would be cool for you to get because it has so much more capability compared to the 408.

The RC-408 listed for $175.00 in 1989. They go for at least half that. I've seen them sell anywhere between $75.00 - $125.00 on ebay, with around $100.00 being the norm.

technoplayer said:
..or you can just lean over and push the buttons on the tape machine
Cost: $0 :D

just be careful to not get your guitar pickups near the tape when you do this...heh heh....

technoplayer said:
..or you can just lean over and push the buttons on the tape machine
Cost: $0 :D

Not so easy to do when I'm behind my drums on the other side of the room! Plus I like to record acoustic guitar and vocals in other rooms now and then.

BRDTS said:
I have an rc408 boxed up somewhere around here. Because the tsr8 here has mostly only been used with a Midiizer all these years, I've only used the 408 a few times with it. If the offer were right, I might sell it. What have these things been going for when you all see them around? If it's only just a few bucks, I'll keep mine if only for the historical value.

By the way, if you have no remote, the Midiizer would be cool for you to get because it has so much more capability compared to the 408.

Did you get my private message?

EDAN said:
Not so easy to do when I'm behind my drums on the other side of the room! Plus I like to record acoustic guitar and vocals in other rooms now and then.
The TSR-8 can be programmed to automatically record short sections, which is a godsend for situations like this.

First you arm the tracks you want to record, then you hit the INSERT button.
Then you wind the tape to a bit before the starting position, and press 'RHSL' (rehearsal). Now press PLAY, and when the bit you want to punch in comes along, press RECORD. When it reaches the end, press PLAY and wait for it to stop. It will now wind back to position.
When you come to run the tape, the machine will only record between these two points.

You can do a test run by just hitting PLAY now. When you're ready to go, press 'AUTO IN/OUT' and then PLAY. Now run into the other room and perform.
When you come back, the tape should be winding back to position. If you press play while the AUTO IN/OUT light is steady, you can hear the take. If you press it again so it flashes and then press PLAY, you can do a retake.

This is in the manual, but most people don't have those. I learned this from Edward Dijk's now-defunct TSR-8 page.. it's still in the Google Cache though, if you want to grab it.

Search for this link: hipcat.bizland.com/analog_recording.htm

Thanks, JP, but I already knew that (I have the manual). That's great for punching in, but not ideal for recording from across the room where one would want more hands on control over the functions. If I drop a stick (or mess up) I can stay seated with the remote next to me and not have to run back to the machine and stop and start over again.

BRDTS, did you get my offer?

Yes, but I think I'll hang onto the 408 for now. Thanks for the offer.

That Taspunch looks pretty cool. I've heard of it before but never really looked at it's structure. It would probably also work with Win Xp after running the xp compatibility wizard.

I'll have to play around with that someday. If the Taspunch works as advertised, a person could have a wireless pc keyboard over at say the vocal booth etc and do all the remote triggering of a single multitrack from there. The rc408 has a 15 or 20 foot cable on it and I bet a wireless pc keyboard can easily get that far from a pc.

Old thread I know. Does anyone have updated info on the TASPUNCH guy? I should be acquiring an MSR-16 in the next few months. The demo only limits the punch in/outs, so could be used simply for a remote for the transport functions, but wouldn't mind a full version if still availbable.

Both email address in txt files bounce. Haven't tried sending a postcard yet to the PO box.

rc-408

I have 2 on ebay right now. Both in mint condition. Last one I Isaw on ebay went for $175 in used condition.
I paid nearly $250 each in 1991 for mine and never used them. Asking 250 for the one in original box aand 225 for the one with no box.

Back