Teac a3440 record and play issue...please help..i am gonna get crazy

soufis

Hello...i bought from ebay a TEAC 3440...really in a good price...i had to put only a capstan belt.I oiled also the pinch roller shaft and capstan bearing..everything worked fine ...i thought then that i would have only to clean the linkage because of the sticky pinch roller syndrome but today something went wrong.
I connected the Teac in a wrong way with a dbx 228 unit.After that:

1)The Teac can play recorded music on my reels only in sync function.In play function,everything mechanically seems ok,but no sound ,no vu meters signal.

2)When i record, everything again seems ok(vu meters signal using source function,red lights on,pinch roller to the right position,capstan and reels move )...when i go back the tape, to listen the result ,(using play or even sync function),i can't hear anything..it's like i have never recorded.

I only saw the fuses on top..they seem to be ok...(i haven't checked them)...someone said to this forum that the cards need resetting...what is this exactly?

I would appreciate so much if someone knows something about this...unfortunately,there is no money available for service at the moment, in a service store....
Big THANK YOU

I connected the Teac in a wrong way with a dbx 228 unit.

What exactly did you do? That might point to the answer.

Give those fuses a check; It'll do no harm.

I can't see the cards needed reseated since it sounds like this problem coincided with the DBX thing.
It'd be the next thing to rule out though if you're at a loss.
There are cards in there that slot in like a compute graphics card. Sometimes the need taken out, the edges cleaned, and put back in.

I didn't know how to connect the Dbx 228 to TEAC 3440...so i made a couple of 2-3 wrong connections,and in the end, i took out the dbx...i will have to buy the manual for this.I connected first my external preamp > dbx>TEAC , then PREAMP>TEAC>DBX>TEAC i also tried the input-output of teac,instead of the rear teac's slots for dbx unit... i still don't know the correct chain....
I will check the fuses...then maybe i will check the cards ...i don't know
thank you for your reply

i did put back the jumpers to their slots..the problem is fixed to 90%, but now, to the 3rd channel, after i record something(source function or sync),i can only hear the playback in sync function ..not in play function.

Last edited:
I think the jumpers are essential as they complete what is in effect, and effects loop.

Make sure all jumpers are in place and if you have the problem isolated to one channel, swap the jumpers for that channel to rule them out.

Toggle the mic att/mic/line switches too. It's a long shot but they were picky on my machine and needed cleaning.

i swapped the jumper as you said...i also took them out again,and put them back in a different order..no change..the same problem ..as i remember,this 3rd channel had this problem before the jumpers experiment...
Maybe i will clean the switch that you mention,and even the connections to the playback card for the 3rd channel on the bottom of the Teac...am i right?
Thanks Steenamaroo...

Last edited:
Thank you!!!...yes..i did it..i found a broken header pin to a plastic connector on the top of the motherboard...now everything is fixed!!!![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thank you!!!...yes..i did it..i found a broken header pin to a plastic connector on the top of the motherboard...now everything is fixed!!!!
[/QUOTE]

Wow glad to HEAR that its all working for you !! the 3340 was my first multitrack machine i sunk my teeth on and I still have recordings(mix downs)from it but, wish i still had my original 3340(I had a newer model later) but dont have either one any more :(

Last edited:
can you take a photo of that? I have a similar problem where tracks 2,3,& 4 work on sync only and 1 only works on playback. I'm going to open a new thread for this.

Hey there! -First off, Congrats on fixing your deck. :) -Second, Oh GOD IN HEAVEN, if you happen to have any pics or ANYthing that would help me fix the same problem (only with Ch 4 Playback head) -you would be giving me the greatest Xmass gift ever. ;)
-Funfact: When I pop the head cover off and select the playback head, the fidelity is top notch on the other 3 channels, but nothing on ch 4, HOWEVER: If i slowly move my hand closer to the solder joint for ch 4 (in the front of the machine), as if I were going to touch it, a hum starts a few inches away and then gets absurdly louder the closer I get to it -like 3 millimeters... (using headphones) I figure it must be a bad pin, or a ground issue -as none of the other tracks do this if I repeat with another channel.
Anyway,
I would be MOST grateful if anyone had any info/pics/insight, etc..

I used to have an Otari MX5050 MKIII 1/2" R2R machine - but was stolen during a move... :( -OH the tears... So, I am now trying to get this beautiful A-3440 which is 98% kick butt (not to mention the 4 track has it's charm, for sure.. :) but need this playback head to work :)
Thanks everyone!!! :)
Oh yes... one last silly question: the record/sync heads sound way different than the playback heads.. -I had heard this is done to maximize performance on the record head for recording. - Could someone maybe just nod if this is indeed the case and all is as it should be ? -Eternally grateful.,
Thanks!!
j

can you take a photo of that? I have a similar problem where tracks 2,3,& 4 work on sync only and 1 only works on playback. I'm going to open a new thread for this.
hello,and sorry for the delay..are u still having the same problem?Have you checked all the connections on the motherboard(after taking out the 4 huge rec/play cards from the bottom).Read this thread..you can find some photos here of my motherboard,but finally the problem was a connection from the other side of this motherboard.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=468567&page=2

Back