Tascam tsr8 rewind issues

Scripps-66

Hey just looking for any advice on getting my tsr to rewind, I have a really nice manual with all the schematics and maintenance section, a friend of mine has a 388 that had same issue but he sound a servo adjustment for rewind, turned a screw and problem solved.. if anyone has had this problem or has some advice to share any help would be greatly appreciated

Where donyour tension arms sit when in REW? Can you post a pic of what they are doing when you are in REW? You can also start with your manual and find the section on tension arm position adjustment. I don’t have my service manual handy so look in yours.

It would help if you described the symptoms. If it is definitely the tension, there are indeed a few trim pots to adjust it. However, please, please, please use a non-conductive adjustment tool, e.g. a ceramic screwdriver. Some guy here managed to cook the processor on his/her TSR-8 by doing this with a screwdriver when their hand slipped.

And I just looked in the Service Manual and you *must* have a Tentelometer or equivalent to adjust the tensions on the TSR-8...no cheats or work-arounds. If your REW issue is tension related you will have to borrow or get ahold of the proper tools or take it to a qualified tech.

I see in another thread you cite there is damage to the machine; that it was dropped and there are other issues with the REW motor assembly, so those need to be teased out prior to messing with tensions anyway.

And I just looked in the Service Manual and you *must* have a Tentelometer or equivalent to adjust the tensions on the TSR-8...no cheats or work-arounds. If your REW issue is tension related you will have to borrow or get ahold of the proper tools or take it to a qualified tech.

I see in another thread you cite there is damage to the machine; that it was dropped and there are other issues with the REW motor assembly, so those need to be teased out prior to messing with tensions anyway.

Thanks, its definitely the tension arm, took reels off the machine, I hit rewind and raised the arm up and down theres a spot where it kicks in, know a guy that works on these but hes always backed up, lives an hour and a half away as well, think I'll buy a meter see if I can do it myself, ever done this?

It would help if you described the symptoms. If it is definitely the tension, there are indeed a few trim pots to adjust it. However, please, please, please use a non-conductive adjustment tool, e.g. a ceramic screwdriver. Some guy here managed to cook the processor on his/her TSR-8 by doing this with a screwdriver when their hand slipped.

Thanks for the tip on screwdriver, see post above on symptoms, pretty sure that it's the tension arm, and now that I know what it is I can start scouring the manual see what I can find out, ever adjusted a tension arm?

Thanks for the tip on screwdriver, see post above on symptoms, pretty sure that it's the tension arm, and now that I know what it is I can start scouring the manual see what I can find out, ever adjusted a tension arm?

I think you’re misunderstanding me. The tension arms are adjust as a product of the tension adjustments, for which you need a Tentelometer or equivalent. You don’t just adjust the arms.

But back up...you said you put it in REW and raise the supply tension arm and there’s a point the mother “kicks in” like a sudden change? Can you post a video of the issue?

I think you’re misunderstanding me. The tension arms are adjust as a product of the tension adjustments, for which you need a Tentelometer or equivalent. You don’t just adjust the arms.

But back up...you said you put it in REW and raise the supply tension arm and there’s a point the mother “kicks in” like a sudden change? Can you post a video of the issue?
I'll try and post a video when I get home, but one thing I noticed is when I run the tape directly to take up reel without threading it through rollers across tape heads and use my hand to raise tension arm, it reminds fast, it doesn't kick in as hard as FF but rewinds pretty fast, when I thread tape through rollers there is no spot where it rewinds fast.. none of the rollers feel like they are sticking but one big one (in between pinch roller and tension arm on take up side) doesn't roll as easy as others, if you give it a good spin by hand it wont do a full rotation on it's own, and the tires on the rollers were replaced shortly before I bought it maybe two years old at most and look good, what do you think?

Back