Tascam 424 MKIII Volume level issues

chrisbagi

Hi All,

I have a volume level issue on my Tascam 424 MKIII, this controls the head phone volume and the monitor out. My Channel faders are fine and so is my master fader. over all volume level doesn't work I turn the knob left and right nothing happens, so now I get a fix volume and it's blaring through my head phones. the only way I can turn it down is through my active monitors using the volume knobs on the back off them. I took the the thing apart just to see if I have any loose wires but everything seemed in order. I know how to operate the Tascam MkIII very well and refer to the manual. I am wondering if the volume pot is fried. I hope one you techie's out there might be able to help me or give me some Idea's.

Thanks.

There may be a short across the volume pot if it's at full volume all the time. It would be between the middle pin and one of the other pins.

If that's the case, is this fixable! maybe I have to some soldering or I'm guessing I have to change and get a new volume pot. This sucks.

I can't imagine how a pot could go bad unless foreign matter got inside it somehow. Check the capacitors near the output amp and see if any of them are splitting open on top. If there's no obvious defect on the circuit board, get some contact cleaner and spray the pot out.

Thanks for your help, When I had it open I did not see anything out of the ordinary as I checked all wires/circuits/res/caps, etc...... It all looked fine, I am not electronic engineer, although I know a little here and there, It's just a pain in the ass to take a part. But I will give it a try and take another look.

Hi Everyone,

I Just want to let everyone know, about my volume matter for Tascam 424 MKIII, which I couldn't fix myself so I brought into Long & Mcquades music store, repair dept. I was talking to repair guy, he's cool and help me out and called Tascam\Teac for the volume pot, and to my surprise they carry the part, after all these years. He told me it shouldn't be a problem fixing as he worked on these before in the past. so I just have to wait a couple of weeks and I'll let you know if all is done and perfect working order. I also ask repair guy if he could spray the sliders and other pots with deoxit for me,
He ask me is there problems with them, I told him no as I just don't want them ceasing up. He mentioned sometimes that is not the case and the deoxit may not work at all. Wonder if anyone here has an opinion on this.

Finally got it back today and working well just like a brand new one would do. It was a cheap fix which I am grateful for, back to the basics.

Same Problem

I have the same problem. The volume is maxed out and I have to use the master fader to bring it down. Do you know if it was just the volume pot that was replaced? Can you tell me how much money you paid to get yours fixed? I live near the Tascam manufacturer here in Montebello but if it's just the pot, I think I can do it myself.

You should call Tascam Parts Dept. It should be a reasonable price for the pot. Maybe cheaper if you pick it up at will-call, vs. having the part shipped.
:spank::eek:;)

Back