Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tascam 388 no right channel

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello all. Thought I'd try to renew this thread. I've been distracted, partly due to the machine itself, and partly focusing on playing more and other life stuff.

If anyone had some insight it would be sincerely appreciated. I've looked around for techs in the area and it seems like someone who could reliably work on this older machine is pretty hard to come by. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Hello, I had an issue a few years ago with my L/R assign buttons. They produced no sound. Turned out to be the u104 chip on the monitor buss B pcb. You indicate having mono/summing issues during playback. Not sure replacing u104 would fix that, but might be worth a try. Are you monitoring through the L/R buss or the overdub monitor section? (The section with the gain and pan pots)

Thanks
    Thanks - that chip was mentioned earlier in the thread. I previously switched the monitor buss B pcb with one from my parts machine, and the issue did not change. I was monitoring through the L/R bus as well as the monitor section, and both had the same results.

With a little perseverance I was able to track down a tech who might be able to work on it and not charge an inflated price. The trick is just getting the machine over to him. I'm hoping to do that in the next few weeks. I think this issue is beyond swapping parts.

Thanks
    You could try pulling the metal bottom off the unit and reseating the buss board that goes perpendicular across the channel boards. Just push /pull it lightly. I've done this while running tone to the inputs and you can see the result.

Thanks
    Do you mean the tan strip that you have to remove to access the monitor pcbs? I took that on and off and even replaced that with one form the parts machine too. Still no luck.

Thanks
    Yes, that's the one. Goes across the channel and monitor boards.

Thanks
    It's been a while since I've posted and I'm still having some issues. I was able to take the machine to a tech. He found a bad transistor on the power supply board that he replaced. This didn't solve the issue. But he did say there was a connector with a loose pin to the monitor pcb. When he situated it, that resolved the stereo issue. So i brought it home and the issue is still happening. I'm having a hell of a time getting the tech to follow up on the issue (I should have checked before I left, but it took weeks for him to be available for pickup, and I just wanted to get my machine back). At this point I'm wondering if there is a certain connector I can look for which might be causing the issue. I tried to inspect them but was not noticing anything out of place.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by illuminations View Post
    It's been a while since I've posted and I'm still having some issues. I was able to take the machine to a tech. He found a bad transistor on the power supply board that he replaced. This didn't solve the issue. But he did say there was a connector with a loose pin to the monitor pcb. When he situated it, that resolved the stereo issue. So i brought it home and the issue is still happening. I'm having a hell of a time getting the tech to follow up on the issue (I should have checked before I left, but it took weeks for him to be available for pickup, and I just wanted to get my machine back). At this point I'm wondering if there is a certain connector I can look for which might be causing the issue. I tried to inspect them but was not noticing anything out of place.
    So what is your specific issue?

And the tech "situated" the connector with the loose pin? Wth does *that* mean? Did the tech reflow the solder join or something?

You say whatever the tech did "resolved" the stereo issue...but you brought it home and it wasn't working again. Did you at any point experience it working after the tech worked on it, or are you going off of the tech's word that it was working?

Thanks
    So I didn't really want to start badmouthing, but the tech ended having my machine at his for about 2 months. This was after he "resolved" the issue after about a week and half. I kept getting crazy stories about why he couldn't drop it off or I could pick it up. So once he said he would be around I basically raced over there to get and forgot to bring a test tape. Of course he didn't have any on hand. I got a lot of mixed signals. I said he was going to recap the power supply but I don't think he did. He also said there was a loose pin in a connector, but I don't know what he's really talking about.

So I get home, put the machine down on my living floor and test it. Same problem. But having just responded to Mark7's thread, I thought I'd plug it in and just listen to a recording real quick before I opened it back up. And poof! it's working again. Full stereo effect. Maybe moving it knocked something into place? Would a poor solder joint somewhere cause this sudden change? Or would it more likely be a connector somewhere? I'm leaving in on at the moment and don't really want to move or do anything with it because there are a handful of songs I really want to mix. Who knows how long I'll have it functional.

Also, the issue I was having was the weird mono thing we were trying to chase down about 5 months ago.

---------- Update ----------

Lordy, I went back on the thread, and it was actually about a year ago this started.

Thanks
    A cold solder joint is always a possible cause of intermittent signal path problems.

Thread Information