Tascam 238!

analog aaron

Swami King of Poppers
Yippie!!!!!!!! Today I received my recently purchased 238 w/remote. Professionally packed and shipped!!! This unit looks to be in amazing condition! No dust bunnies, hair or food in this transport. :D Man, most of you will laugh, but I haven't seen a deck rewind, or ff soo fast in my life! This baby is solid and quiet. My search for cool analog gear is never going to be over, but for now I think my hunger is satisfied. My girlfriend should be pleased to know now I'm considering selling quite a few of my older 4 tracks and what not. I just won't let her know about the handful I don't plan on getting rid of!! :eek: Ha.

I've made some surprisingly great recordings on 238's (I have two:eek:). In my not so humble opinion, these were the best of the cassette multitrackers.

Don't those only record on 4 tracks at once, and not 8? I was tempted to get one, but I think it only has 2 XLR mic inputs. Bah. If it was truly an 8 channel version of my 424 mkII, I'd find all kinds of stuff to unload to get my hands on a 238.:p It looks very similar to a 424 in it's layout so that is pretty cool. I'm spoiled by having individual outputs for each track, so that would be hard for me to get used to if I step up. I still want one though, damn it!:D

Wrong. They record on all 8 tracks at once or any combination there of. Also they have NO mic preamps, just -10 line level unbalanced inputs and outputs.

Wrong. They record on all 8 tracks at once or any combination there of. Also they have NO mic preamps, just -10 line level unbalanced inputs and outputs.

Cool, all 8 tracks at once. Hmmmm, no preamps. I take it I would have to either spend big $$$$ on a preamp setup or just buy a Mackie mixer.:confused::p

The 238 is the 8-in/8-out/8-simul recorder with wired remote that's a 3U rackmount unit, cassette drive only (Syncaset) & not a Portastudio.:eek:;)

Attachments

• 1-Tascam 238ba.JPG
    1-Tascam 238ba.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 1-Tascam 238ca.JPG
    1-Tascam 238ca.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 157
The 238 is the 8-in/8-out/8-simul recorder with wired remote that's a 3U rackmount unit, cassette drive only (Syncaset) & not a Portastudio.:eek:;)

DOH!!:o My mistake. That deck looks wicked though. So instead of going from a mixing board to a reel to reel, you could use that deck to capture 8 tracks huh? Pretty sweet.;)

Last edited:
................Oh Yeah! Probably won't get to experiment until the weekend though.
A.A.

Attachments

• Ebayand238018.jpg
    Ebayand238018.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 335
  • Ebayand238017.jpg
    Ebayand238017.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 334
Congrats on the 238! :)

I remember when it came out... it shocked the hell out of us with the awesome sound on those tiny tracks. It's really a nice machine. I still think about getting one sometimes.

Cool setup aaron.:) I'm glad that it was packed and shipped with care.. (I can rest now;) ). That 238 is a sweet machine indeed. :) -- I sure wish your photos were a bit bigger though. If you want, PM me, I'll give you my email, send me the originals and I'll repost 'em... How does that sound?

Cool beans, man! I love that machine. It is simple and rather straight-forward to use and it sounds really good. You are lucky to find one in such good condition.

Congrats,
ratdog

ebayand238011-1iuj2msv.jpg

ebayand238018-48cszbch0.jpg

ebayand238017-48cszbcp1.jpg

Hey, There's my old AWIA powered speakers in those pictures above! I thought my son had them in his room as computer speakers?

I've had mine since 91, retro now I suppose, someone once mentioned those speakers look like Darth Vaders helmet!

Hey, There's my old AWIA powered speakers in those pictures above! I thought my son had them in his room as computer speakers?

I've had mine since 91, retro now I suppose, someone once mentioned those speakers look like Darth Vaders helmet!

Huh? Those monitors are Alesis M1's. I don't see Darth Vader either?!! :eek:

I'm losing the plot now! The R2R shaped shadow in the 2nd picture is what I got confused by! The casing at the top is the same type in the dark light makes it look similar!

I'll get me coat..................................................!

Back