Tascam 22-2 or Revox A77 for mixdown from digital??

vwcsonic

Hi all,

I've got a line on a Tascam 22-2 for about $200. Also saw a Revox A77 (converted to 7 1/2-15 ips) for $100. Would you recommend either for mixdown from my digital 16-track (Fostex D160).

Anyone have experience on the sound and quality of these machines? Or would you recommend another used, fairly cheap 2-track? Is the A77 strictly a consumer model, or could measure up for mixdown? Can I get outboard noise reduction that works, or is it a waste of time?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I recommend the Tascam 22-2 over the A77. The A77 is older with a lot of costly maintenance issues. The A77 is more likely to be a project than a solution ready to go into service.

The 22-2 sounds great and is simple to operate and maintain. I own two of them. Sonically it is on par with the Tascam 32, but does not take 10.5” reels. You are limited to 7” reels (about 22 minutes recording time for recommended tape).

I use Outboard Dolby C - Sony NR-500. Outboard Dolby C is more difficult to find, but well worth it if you come across one. Dolby stopped licensing Dolby C for stand-alone units in the 1980’s. The Nakamichi NR-200 is also a very nice Dolby unit. It is switchable between Dolby C and B.

You can also use dbx noise reduction, such as the 150X. However, I personally prefer Dolby C for mastering.

$200 is a great buy for a 22-2 in very good working condition.

-Tim :)

vwcsonic said:
Hi all,

I've got a line on a Tascam 22-2 for about $200. Also saw a Revox A77 (converted to 7 1/2-15 ips) for $100. Would you recommend either for mixdown from my digital 16-track (Fostex D160).

Anyone have experience on the sound and quality of these machines? Or would you recommend another used, fairly cheap 2-track? Is the A77 strictly a consumer model, or could measure up for mixdown? Can I get outboard noise reduction that works, or is it a waste of time?
Thanks!

The 22-2 will almost certainly be newer, unless the A77 is a MK4.. not sure if the A77-IV and 22-2 overlapped, or whether the B77 came before the 22-2.

Parts will probably be easier to come by for the 22-2, some compatible parts should still be available from Teac. However the 22-2 is limited to 7" reels. The A77 can take 10.5" reels.

If it were me, I'd get the A77 for the 10.5" reel capacity. Then again, for that kind of money, I might get both!

I don't know about noise reduction on 2-tracks, for the Teac you could get a DBX unit (the 2D or one of the 150s, IIRC). Some late versions of the A77 had built-in Dolby. Not sure what kind, though. Probably B.

Mark I

Thanks for the info. This Revox looks like one of the first models, without Dolby. I think it was called the "Autostart" model.

I'd go for the Tascam. The Revox A77 dated from the early 70's, and when I last used one 15 years ago they were looking tired. The Tascam is newer technology.

Back