Tape for Tascam 34B

rutson

Dear Sir.

Just got Tascam 34B with some reels of blank Quantegy 406,the machine works fine with Qauntegy.

But found some blank tapes listed in some websites for sale , would like to know if Zonal 820 and RMGI SM911 are suitable with Tascam 34B bias ?

( They said,SM911 was manufactured with same BASF/EMTEC 911 formulation. )

Thank you very much.

Not sure about the Racal Zonal stuff...might be pretty old and dangerous?

The 911 stuff should be good though; same as Quantegy 456 and is what the 34 was originally set up to work with from the factory.

Cheers! :)

Yup, 406, 456 and SM911 (all bias compatible) will work fine on the 34B, unless it was set to another tape type by the previous owner.

Thanks to all analog guru.

Zonal tape as found in reelaudio.co.uk was mentioned as new tape manufactures in 2006.

Thanks to all analog guru.

Zonal tape as found in reelaudio.co.uk was mentioned as new tape manufactures in 2006.

I don't know about 820 - never used it myself - but 700 is the Zonal equivalent to 456 and 911.
You can get that from Canford Audio ( http://www.canford.co.uk ) but be advised that the 10.5" stock only comes on a hub.
To use it, you'll either want to buy a metal spool from StudioSpares, which you can dismantle and reassemble around the core of the new tape, or you can buy plastic spools from Canford as well. They look ugly but they work.

The only problem with the plastic ones is that you can't dismantle them, so you will have to spool the tape onto them from the hub. The simplest way I've found is to run the machine on its back, dismantle a spare metal reel, and use one of the flanges as a 'platter' to hold the tape on. Then you can fast wind from the hub to the empty spool, and put the spare metal reel back together afterwards.

Hope that helps,

Last edited:
Thank you very much for all the info.

Also thanks to jpmorris,that really help.

New blank tape is quite hard to find item in Thailand,got some reels of 7 inch Qauntegy 406.

May be I have to order from US or UK but real expensive issue is not a tape but shipping cost,may be twice as much as the cost of tape itself :eek:

Back