Tape Speed problems????

nate_dennis

After I finished the recording sessions documented in "Adventures in Analog" i was playing some stuff for my wife. Out of nowhere the tape sped up and the slowed way down. I turned off my 488mkii and turned it back on. Everything seemed normal. Fast Forward about a week. I have all my gear set back up and I'm going to re-record a guitar part from that session. I tune my guitar using the same tuner as before (I tuned it before each take durring the session) and the guitar is not in tune with the recording. Later I decide to try to retrack my drums and my synchronizer is out of sync by about an 8th note. So, it seems that my tape is running a tad slow. (I say slow because my guitar sounded just a bit sharp.) What can I do to fix this besides experiment with the tape speed knob to temporarily fix it for that one guitar part? I want to fix the problem, not the symptom. Any help would be great. Thanks.

-Nate

Most likely the capstan belt is loose and needs replacement. If yours also has rubber idlers (pretty sure all do) then they're not far behind in needing to be replaced, not to mention the pinch roller and control belt. BUT, your current problem is very likely a loose capstan belt, riding on / off the ridges, showing classic symptoms of erratic speed.. If you can get some years of additional service by doing the belt alone, then it's worth it. Open the bottom and check the belt carefully.

Thank you for the reply. This will be my first repair operation. Would you be willing to explain what/where the capstan belt is so I don't go hacking away for nothing. I so appreciate all of your help!

-Nate

Nate,
While I don't own a 488 specifically, there are many things in common between the portastudios, including belts. You will need to carefully examine the bottom and figure out which screws to take out to open her up (the bottom part). Tell ya what.... Lets go step by step. If you can, post a photo of the bottom of the unit (not opened yet) and we'll figure out which screws to take out. Next would be to take a photo of the bottom cover off. We'll then look inside and figure out the next step. The belt should be pretty obvious when you open er up. It should look something like this (see attached - arrow pointing to capstan belt). Heck, if you can just unscrew the bottom panel (should be straight forward) and skip right into a few photos of the belt section then we'll be good.

Attachments

• 244capstanbeltoverview.jpg
    244capstanbeltoverview.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 244capstanbelt.jpg
    244capstanbelt.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 29
Hey man, thank you sooooo much for the reply. My 488 is at a friends house. As soon as I get it back I'll post the pic you requested. You all are truly wonderful people. Thank you.

Back