Static .. what could it be ?? Need some help ..

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
Hello,

I recently bought a "vintage" stereo receiver and there's crackling static whenever the volume knob is turned and the right side intermittently works, along with a non-working right vu meter with a collapsed needle. Seller says "it's dust" that got into the moving parts. I think the problem is more severe. The seller sent me a "fully functional", "mint" piece and now I feel I'm stuck with a piece of junk. Question is: Is the seller full of it ?

Thanks,

Daniel

It's not static or dust. It's oxidization on the control's resistive internal mechanism.

Fear not! It can be cleaned and reconditioned back to showroom condition by cleaning the control with a spray cleaner called Deox-it, made by Caig Labs.

www.caig.com

You might have to open up the top of the receiver to gain access to the volume potentiometer or "pot" for short and give in a short spray of the cleaner and then work the pot back and forth a few times and the static and intermittent channel should clear up and run like new once again.

As for the dead meter, that's a different issue and not one I have an instant answer for.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
It's not static or dust. It's oxidization on the control's resistive internal mechanism.

Fear not! It can be cleaned and reconditioned back to showroom condition by cleaning the control with a spray cleaner called Deox-it, made by Caig Labs.

www.caig.com

You might have to open up the top of the receiver to gain access to the volume potentiometer or "pot" for short and give in a short spray of the cleaner and then work the pot back and forth a few times and the static and intermittent channel should clear up and run like new once again.

As for the dead meter, that's a different issue and not one I have an instant answer for.

What exactly causes "oxidation" then ? Thanks for your always prompt replies! :)

Daniel

The Ghost of FM said:
Metal rusts. Rust is also described as "oxidization" in some circles.

Thanks again Jeff!

Daniel

PS: More questions (with picts) to follow ;)

I've found a "Caig" distributor here in Burnaby (BC), almost next door, so that's the good news. What I would like to know is which of the following Deox-it formulations do I need ?

Please click HERE to see what they have.

Which one would you suggest I pick up ?

I've enclosed several picts of the Amp and photos where the knobs get turned (sorry, don't know the proper names) and was wondering where and how do I exactly apply the Deox-it ? Thanks again!!

Daniel :)

Attachments

• tn_DSC00015.JPG
    tn_DSC00015.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 15
  • tn_DSC00016.JPG
    tn_DSC00016.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 15
  • tn_DSC00018.JPG
    tn_DSC00018.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 13
  • tn_DSC00019.JPG
    tn_DSC00019.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 15
  • tn_DSC00020.JPG
    tn_DSC00020.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 13
Oh, btw, the VU meter problem was fixed. It seems that the glue that was holding the plate to the plastic gave way and fell on the needle! :eek: Nothing that a bit of scotch tape couldn't fix ;)

Here's a photo attached of the meter with the tape barely seen on the right side:

Attachments

• tn_DSC00014.JPG
    tn_DSC00014.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 61
Oh, what the hell ... attached is a nice photo of the Amp, fully intact! :D

Poor thing wasn't used since '79, or at least most of that time .. all it needs is Deox-it. :)

Attachments

• tn_DSC00022.JPG
    tn_DSC00022.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 63
While we're on the subject I was wondering if I can ask you something else ? (The questions never end! ;) ).

I'm about to pick up an unused and completely "mint" and functional older Teac reel to reel. (With the cool wooden sides and everything! :D ). It was made around '74, might have been bought a bit later but it pretty much sat in its own box for most of that time untouched. It has all original accessories and box etc included. Again it looks absolutely unused BUT (and a BIG BUT) ... We're talking about a machine that sat in it's box for 20+ years. Other than lubing the mechanisms and using Deox-it, and perhaps changing the belt(s), what else needs to be done ? Is this the sort of "servicing work" that I can do or do I need to bring it in to a tech guy ?

Thanks again!

Daniel

It's hard to guess what might be or could be wrong after all those years of storage?

Best bet is to get it, plug it in, see what happens and go from there.

Which model of TEAC is it?

The Ghost of FM said:
It's hard to guess what might be or could be wrong after all those years of storage?

Best bet is to get it, plug it in, see what happens and go from there.

Which model of TEAC is it?

It's the A-4300 but someone "beat" me to it ... I guess I won't be getting it after all ... :( However, I'll report here, for whatever else comes up! :)

Thanks,

Daniel

Back