Revox PR99 balanced I/O to unbalanced: how to ?

Hi,

My B77 is currently back to service so I put a PR99 (read only) to play my tapes in the mantime. The problem is, the outputs are XLR balanced type, and the machine is to be connected to a normal amplifier with RCA plugs.
I currently connected the headphone output to the amplifier input and set the headphone volume to the good position. In the future I'd prefer using the XLR output, but how do you convert to unbalanced ? Do you simply use two of the three pins, or do you have to use a matching transformer ?

Thanks,

David.

Are you certain they are balanced outs? You are probably right, but sometimes unbalanced I/O is ported via XLR jacks. Some of the outs on the Tascam M2500 are this for instance IIRC.

If it truly is balanced, then the best thing is to get some matching transformers. You could build your own but I don't know how to do that.

Signal levels might be the problem here, XLR are usually line level +4dBu balanced & RCA -10dBu unbalanced.

Although sometimes unbalanced XLR signals still run @ +4dBu like the mix outputs on my Soundtracs Topaz 24/48/8 Project 8 console for some strange reason?

You can make buy or make up XLR to RCA cables easily enough but you might need inline attenuator(s) also to reduce the signal going to your RCA -10dBu amp. Or buy a stereo direct box / level converter that does the same task

The PR99 does indeed have balanced outputs, all you need is XLR to rca or 1/4" adaptors. No other widgets should be needed and the whole -10/+4 business will not cause you any issues. If you do get too much sgnal to your stereo then simply turn the output levels down on the deck (that is what they are for)

AK

Back