Reel to reel enthusiasts are going to be mouth watering for this

I believe there's been some preliminary buzz about that awhile ago...and most likely, those decks will be targeted for the audiophile stereo crowd...(think big $$$).
Yeah...they do mention the "start of a new product line"...but I'm not seeing them churning out 1.) home rec multitracks machines at a reasonable price, as most home rec guys complain about used deck prices when they exceed $300... :D ...and 2.) I don't see them churning out pro-level multitrack decks in the 1" 2" formats....
...but hey, I could be wrong.

There's also that "where to buy tape" thing...and the only two manufacturers charge very high pricess for blank tape...so again, I see this more for the crowd who wants to play back pre-recorded 2-track music....like what you see over on the Tape Project Forum. Tape Project Forum - Index

Even looking at the close-up pic of the faceplate...there's only bare-minimum controls...which to me...further indicates these are more for audiophile playback.

13fcdb481d.jpg

But hey...nothing bad about a new tape deck line coming out... :)...it might at least generate some I interest again in tape on a broader scale.

It looks a lot like the love child of a Revox B77 and a Lyrec FRED. The lack of VU meters unsettles me and the fact that it uses a pinch roller is irritating as well - I was hoping for something more ATR-like since the capstan/pinch roller system seems to be the main source of woe in reel-to-reel decks. Even so, this is rather cool and at the very least means more Revox parts on the spares market.

A lot of the "home recorders" that are complaining are the old guys who paid that much for a tape deck in the 60's-are completely unaware of inflation-http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=300&year1=1965&year2=2016.$300 in 1965 dollars equates to $2267.92.These are the same guys that balk at a $500 repair charge for 6-8 hrs labor...

Back