Reel/Hub Diameter and mounting confusion

Matt C.

here's my situation - i have a 10.5" take up reel with the large center hole for use with a nab hub adapter, but the 10.5" RMGI tape i bought has a thin (i think it's called "cine"?) center hole, like most 7" reels, although it seems that the size of the area in the center of the reel that has no tape in it is about 3" (the same size as the take up reel).

is it a problem to mix these two mounting styles? i'm using a Revox B77 with a Large/Small Reel Size button, and everything i've read says the setting depends on the reel hub diameter (i assume this means the diameter of the tape-less area in the center of the reel), not the size of the mounting hole. any help? thanks!!

I think you'd probably set it to Large. I'd be interested to see the RMGI reel though - I've not seen that kind of reel much. To be sure, the RMGI I got the other week was a regular NAB spool, with the 3" hole in the middle...

cool. is there any way to know if it's not working properly? or is it the the kind of thing that will work fine for a minute until it breaks the motor or something terrible?

I am sure you would be fine as long as the size of the area the tape raps around is the same on both reels.

Back