Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Post-Fader USB Mixing Console

Thanks

Post-Fader USB Mixing Console

Sign in to disable this ad
    Iíd like to be able to adjust each channels EQ both independently and before my DAW sees it ... Iíd also like to do this on a board.

Use Case: Iím going to be kicking off a live-stream show, one man shop, and donít want to have to move back and forth through various software to adjust levels, EQ, muting, etc. it would be real nice to have the option of sending either pre/post fader with the flip of a switch (and better yet send both) to different channels for recording and editing later.

Is there a mixer thatíll do this? Or am I just off my rocker here?

Thanks.

Thanks
    I *think* I understand your question.

You’re just wanting an analog mixer that has EQ on each input so you have physical knobs to tweak sources prior to going into the computer?

That’s pretty much any analog mixer.

You mention pre/post fader capability...that’s a feature found on more advanced consoles. But is it necessary in your setup? Maybe I’m not understanding your question entirely...

Thanks
    I want to be able to send to my DAW, OBS, Voice Recorder or whatíre ever on my computer AFTER the mixer has its complete adjustments to the input channel.

So I want to be able to adjust the EQ, FX, etc and then send to the DAW the channelís post fader signal via USB.

I also want this to happen for each individual channel and NOT just for the master mix.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    I *think* I understand your question.

You’re just wanting an analog mixer that has EQ on each input so you have physical knobs to tweak sources prior to going into the computer?

That’s pretty much any analog mixer.

You mention pre/post fader capability...that’s a feature found on more advanced consoles. But is it necessary in your setup? Maybe I’m not understanding your question entirely...

I want to be able to send to my DAW, OBS, Voice Recorder or what’re ever on my computer AFTER the mixer has its complete adjustments to the input channel.

So I want to be able to adjust the EQ, FX, etc and then send to the DAW the channel’s post fader signal via USB.

I also want this to happen for each individual channel and NOT just for the master mix. So my question boils down to this: is there a mixer which sends to the computer via USB post-fader and not pre-fader? Or perhaps there's a mixer which allows for both pre/post?

Thanks
    I guess another way to ask this is:

Is there a multitrack USB audio interface mixing console which will allow the USB signal to be passed to the computer post fader. So far, all I'm seeing is that the Master Mix is passed post-fader but each individual input is passed pre-fader.

Thanks
    I know you can do this with a full featured analog mix combined with an audio interface with a sufficient number of inputs. It's likely possible to do this with the right digital mixer that can act as an interface.

The Soundcraft GB2R has channel direct outputs that can be switched pre- or post-fader. In post-fader they'll also be post channel eq and post channel insert. Connected to any multichannel interface it would meet your requirements.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Theeoddname View Post
    I guess another way to ask this is:

Is there a multitrack USB audio interface mixing console which will allow the USB signal to be passed to the computer post fader. So far, all I'm seeing is that the Master Mix is passed post-fader but each individual input is passed pre-fader.
    This is usually configurable in a digital desk. It's all going through one usb out so it has to be a software setting in an all digital desk.
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2019 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    I know you can do this with a full featured analog mix combined with an audio interface with a sufficient number of inputs. It's likely possible to do this with the right digital mixer that can act as an interface.

The Soundcraft GB2R has channel direct outputs that can be switched pre- or post-fader. In post-fader they'll also be post channel eq and post channel insert. Connected to any multichannel interface it would meet your requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtoboy View Post
    This is usually configurable in a digital desk. It's all going through one usb out so it has to be a software setting in an all digital desk.
    Thank you folks. The Soundcraft GB2R hasn't been on my radar so this gives me some avenues to go after! As for the software solution -- really trying to avoid that route specifically because I'm wanting to physically turn dials and such...bit old school this way. However, if there's software that exists which will make an analogue mixer work the way I'm wanting … OR a firmware update (similar to the Magic Lantern solution for Canon Cameras) that would also be AWESOME!

Currently I've been bouncing back and forth between the Soundcraft Sig 12MTK, Zoom Livetrak L-12, the Heath & Allan MixWizard ($$$ is a concern here), and the Mackie ProFXv2/3 series --- 12/16 channels most likely because of desk space but I have eyed the 22 channels on occasion. I like the USB back feed on the 12MTK but doesn't have as many AUX's or headphones I'd like to see. I live the L-12 because of it's monitor outs but they can't be used as AUX sends (apparently). The Allan has a great number of AUX sends but it's a bit out of my $$ for now -- maybe next year after bonus season in March ??? … and I like the Mackie because of it's AUX/channel - Price ratio. However, I don't know much about these brands other than Soundcraft and Heath/Allan are largely well liked with Mackie/Zoom filling in the middle and I would prefer to get high quality and low functionality than have to be looking for another mixing in two years because of decaying hardware.

All this said, I'm really a newbie in all this audio engineering so I've got ALOT to learn in this space. It's fun though.

Thank you again for your inputs! Which leads me to another question.

IS IT POSSIBLE to do the following: Assuming I can send a signal through the AUX input POST-fader like on the 12MTK
    a) bring mics into the inputs and send them to the AUX channel post fader
    b) from the AUX send bring it back to another input on the mixer and send it to the USB

I'm thinking (with Loopback on mac) I could have an audio device in my computer to read only the USB inputs which have the POST-AUX reroute. This way I would have a work around to ensure onboard EQ and fader with the original input channels (which the system via USB would receive but not be on an audio device being used) while the signal is picked up via USB with the audio device listening to the channels output from the mixer.

I'm just theorizing here … thought you may know.

If the above would work then perhaps I could get a 22 channel mixer such as the 22MTK for $800 ish and it would effectively be a 12MTK with the feature set I'm looking for … just have to get creative with the desk space.

Thanks
    Could you describe your recording setup, and what you are actually trying to achieve, i.e., what's the end result, or results, as there seem to be two competing requirements? Is it as simple as wanting to stream live from a mixing board (i.e., a stereo, or maybe even mono mix) and at the same time capture individual tracks pre-fader for later re-mixing in a DAW?

P.S. How big is this band you need 22 tracks? What all are you recording?
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks

Thread Information