!&#$%^@ Otari again....

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
Mmmh, what's that burning smell? Mmmh, reels are turning, but the meters aren't deflecting, and the smell seems to be coming from, damn, the Otari. Pushing stop doesn't. OK then. Turn off, turn back on, none of the logic functions or work. OK. I suppose a burned part should be pretty easy to find. That 15ips two track conversion to the Teac A-3300SX is starting to sound more appealing....

I won't be able to get to this for a while due to some construction going on. But I'll keep y'all posted so you can share my pain....

You have a 5050 dont you? If so, when you find out whats wrong, I have a couple of carcass 5050s around and might have what you need replacement wise.

You have a 5050 dont you? If so, when you find out whats wrong, I have a couple of carcass 5050s around and might have what you need replacement wise.

Thanks!!!! Yes it's a 5050BII-2. I took the hood off yesterday to literally sniff around, but I don't have clear access to my bench at the moment and it doesn't appear that my owner's manual has all the schematics. There's a small daughter PCB that looks like it has several red (capacitors?) and two of them appear scorched. This was a quick glance. I couldn't find the part numbers on a schematic,k whic makes me think I don't have complete schemos. I'm going ot email the guy I bought it from re: the schemos.

I have a second machine, in working order, but it has been modified to be a 1/4 track. I have another thread on a "smoking Otari" as that one blew (capacitor?) in the PSU when I first powered it up....

Ive had the same problem with the manuals for the 5050 stuff. They either arent complete or dont look like the machine...

Good point about TH. The guy I bought it from was pretty good about filling in the gaps on the manual that came with it, but it looks like there are more gaps!

Don, I'll check my library and see what I have on the BII.

Step 1, check the power rails for proper DC voltage and AC artifacts, yes?

Thanks Cory. I took another look at the schemos I do have, and it might be on the record amp schemo. The part numbers are ch1 and give you a reference number to change for coresponding ch2. Some of the ch1 part numbers seem to check out. The capacitors that look burned don't seem to correspond to values nearby, although the component numbers for them are either obscured or on the other side of the board. It is held down by small bracket, which requires access from the front of the machine dropping down the other main board, which I didn't have time to do today. To Otari's credit, they are built solid, but dang, have a lot of discrete parts.

Back