How to get Pancake of tape onto a reel?

Lucian

I just got a pancake of Quantegy 407 and having not used tape since the 80s, I am not sure if I remember how to to this.
I was thinking, since the pancake is mountable, I would just rewind it straight onto a reel but am now thinking all it would
take is the tape to fall forward off the cardboard and I would have a huge headache to deal with.

Is there a technique for this?

I have an open or one sided reel made by Otari that came with one of my MTRs. It accepts the pancake and supports it while you spool to a regular reel. Ive only ever seen one of them.

*edit: And it works with any tape thickness.

I just got a pancake of Quantegy 407 and having not used tape since the 80s, I am not sure if I remember how to to this.
I was thinking, since the pancake is mountable, I would just rewind it straight onto a reel but am now thinking all it would
take is the tape to fall forward off the cardboard and I would have a huge headache to deal with.

Is there a technique for this?

yeah it is simple, just get your empty reel and it should have 3 screws holding it together. Take them out along with the hub and the hub holes with the pancake should line up so just lay on one half and then put the other half with lined up screw holes and screw it together WALA !!!:D

Thanks for the info! That does sound alot easier :)
I have a Tascam 32-2 and I haven't tested it yet as I have to align the rewind reel table as the reel lightly brushes the front plate.
I notice the everyone states the 22-2 was originally biased for 407 tape, is there a consensus on what the 32 was factory set
for? I got a good deal on 3600' of new Quantegy 407 but it is 1.0 mil, will it be ok on a 32 or should I just resell the tape?
Is there a best sounding tape for the 32? Questions.....

Thanks for the info! That does sound alot easier :)
I have a Tascam 32-2 and I haven't tested it yet as I have to align the rewind reel table as the reel lightly brushes the front plate.
I notice the everyone states the 22-2 was originally biased for 407 tape, is there a consensus on what the 32 was factory set
for? I got a good deal on 3600' of new Quantegy 407 but it is 1.0 mil, will it be ok on a 32 or should I just resell the tape?
Is there a best sounding tape for the 32? Questions.....

I think the 32 might have been biased for at the time Ampex(Quantegy) 456?? But really just use the hottest output tape you can find and you want be disappointed,just experiment with how HOT you can HIT it before you hear distortion and then of course back it down until you find the sweet spot ;)

Last edited:
Oh and 499 was the HOTTER one we used after 456. 499 was brighter to me and a higher output tape :) There still is a company or 2 that still uses them tape formulations, and they usually say on there site what it is equivelant to....if you don't find a good company soon just let me know and I'll find it for you,I think its under my favorites somewhere :cool:

Back