Help for Fostex Model 80?

yamtempura

Hi guys,

I've read through as many posts as I can find on this model, and I wasn't able to find specific information on the problem I'm having. Sorry if this was asked/answered before and I didn't find it. I have a Fostex Model 80, and everything appears to be working correctly on it, however if I try to record anything, I get dead air when I play it back. While recording, the LEDs light up to indicate that signal is getting through, it just looks like it is not being recorded. I took it into an Audiophile shop locally that services reel-to-reels, and they stated that the deck was totally fine, and that I just had the wrong kind of tape. I admit that I'm pretty ignorant about this, but they said that I needed Ampex/Quantegy 456 or 457 for this unit, however what is loaded currently is 1/4" EMTEC 911 tape, which as I understand is interchangeable with 456 or 457. If this is not right, does anyone know if I'll have to track down some Quantegy 456/457, if there are any other available alternatives, and if so, is 1/4" tape on a 7" reel the only appropriate tape and reel size?
The bummer is that the guys who told me that I just needed to get the right tape didn't test it with that tape, so I have no way to know if they were just mistaken, so any help is much, much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have an M80 and have run several types of tape thru it and never had it not record........make sure you're not leaving it in input mon mode when you play back.....if you do ,you will not get any audio,and the meters will not work on playback..if the meters are working when you playback,then there is probably another problem,but I seriously don't think it's the tape....it should still print to the tape even if it's crappy quality

First, make sure that the head is clean. There have been more than a few machines which haven't been cleaned and the head is black with gunk, which prevents it from being able to record.

(Has anyone got a good picture of 8 or 16-track fostex heads for reference? I can't find one right now)

Hi,
I'm having the exact same problem with my Fostex Model 80, except that the non-recording only occurs on track 1. I'm trying to find a solution at the moment. I haven't tried de-magnetising the machine yet, nor have I yet tried aligning it (as I don't yet own the correct equipment: a reel to reel tape demagnetizer and a reel of MRL Test Tape for aligning), but I have thoroughly cleaned the heads and other moving parts with Isoprobyl (forgive my spelling if it's wrong) alcohol. The former two are both routine maintenence operations that, according to the manual, should be carried out regularly.
Unfortunatley both items are quite expensive (although there are budget de-magnetisers available, I don't know enough about them to know if this is a wise move and have been told to avoid them)

Here are some links that might be helpful:

my very-similar-problem thread:
homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=3002085#post3002085

Fostex Model 80 user manual:
safemanuals.com/user-guide-instructions-owner-manual/FOSTEX/80-_E

Quantegy 456 1/4" tape for sale:
ebay!

I hope this is helpful in some way. Let me know if you find a solution to the problem. I'll do the same for you! :)

Back