HD TV or HD DVD for Xmas?

• I want one for this holiday season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
How many of you analog gurus are wishing for an HD TV or DVD player for Xmas?

Or, do we have to pull your CRT TV from your cold, dead hands?

-MD

Although I'm perfectly happy with my Panasonic 27" CRT and DVD player, that I've had for many years now, I'll at least want a HD TV in the future, one of them plasma deals or whatever they're called. :confused: At least it won't put out radiation like my CRT or at least I hope not! :eek:

I have both, Just got the lcd hd tv. Some things are better on it and somethings are not so good on it.
One thing I can say I really like is that a guy can pick up a 37 inch set with no problem. Provinded its a flat panel.

I recently changed both of my computer monitors over to LCD. I had a really nice Sony 20" CRT before and only because it died, did I replace it with a 19" Viewsonic. For the most part, I really miss my old CRT. It was much better at handling different screen resolutions and making text more legible then my new LCDs can do.

As for the TVs, I'm still using a 13", 20" and 32" (all Sony's), in the house but plan to change those in the near future over to some Panasonic high def plasmas as they seem to offer the best picture quality and are most forgiving on lower resolution broadcasts. Plasma is as close as you're going to get to watching a tube in that they're pretty similar with both using phosphors and generating more accurate contrast, brightness and black level compared to an LCD.

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
I recently changed both of my computer monitors over to LCD.

Yeah, I did that about a year ago, to a 19" Samsung and my eyes have been thanking me ever since. It was such a strain to work with my old CRT that I couldn't take it. I also didn't like the radiation being emitted from it, especially at such close proximity. I've grown accustomed to the resolution issue. :)

Yeah, it seems like a battle for either plasma or lcd. I've read that plasma can cause eye strain and fatigue, but that LCD has more trouble with standard definition broadcasts.

That probably means when I do break down and get one, it's going to have to be from a big chain store to which I can return it within 30 days if I experience any of the aforementioned problems and can exchange it for the other technology.

-MD

themaddog said:
Yeah, it seems like a battle for either plasma or lcd. I've read that plasma can cause eye strain and fatigue, but that LCD has more trouble with standard definition broadcasts.

That probably means when I do break down and get one, it's going to have to be from a big chain store to which I can return it within 30 days if I experience any of the aforementioned problems and can exchange it for the other technology.

-MD
If you're really fussy, you'll end up returning both as neither one is perfect.

The whole problem is that the DTV system has many different scanning resolutions and aspect ratios and all of these new TV display technologies are really only designed to look decent at their native resolution and will up or down convert the incoming signal to accommodate that. What it boils down to is not just the screen technology but more importantly, the scaling engine inside the TV. This is where the cheap, no name sets fall apart compared to the bigger names in the industry and there are a pathetically small number of makes and models that actually do an acceptable job of doing the scaling in either plasma or LCD.

In plasma, look for a Panasonic or Pioneer, starting from 37" and up. Panasonic is cheaper by about 20%.

In LCD, look at Sony XBR2 &3 series products from 40" to 52" These are not cheap but they do look acceptable thanks to the scaling engine in use. Panasonic also makes some very good LCD screens in their 600 series of screens ranging from 26" to 32". The Sharp Aquos 50 & 90 series are also not bad and come in a variety of sizes from 26" and up.

Buy just about anything else I mentioned above and I guarantee you, you will be disappointed. Even the ones I've recommended are not perfect. Unfortunately, this is a developing technology in both cases. Beware.

cjacek said:
Yeah, I did that about a year ago, to a 19" Samsung and my eyes have been thanking me ever since. It was such a strain to work with my old CRT that I couldn't take it. I also didn't like the radiation being emitted from it, especially at such close proximity. I've grown accustomed to the resolution issue. :)
I'm kind of surprised by your response but then again, not all CRT's were created equally either. The Sony 20" computer monitor I had was a $1500 monitor and looked amazing! I have seen many lesser makes and models that just plain sucked.

The Ghost of FM said:
I'm kind of surprised by your response but then again, not all CRT's were created equally either. The Sony 20" computer monitor I had was a $1500 monitor and looked amazing! I have seen many lesser makes and models that just plain sucked.

I just meant that the refresh / flicker rate was bothersome to my eyes to the point that I had to limit my time with the CRT. The LCD is constant, like a painting on the wall, that I can look at all day without any strain. Good CRT's look amazingly good but again, the way they display images, which cause eye strain and the radiation issue, inherent to such devices, is what made me change over to the LCD.

cjacek said:
I just meant that the refresh / flicker rate was bothersome to my eyes to the point that I had to limit my time with the CRT. The LCD is constant, like a painting on the wall, that I can look at all day without any strain. Good CRT's look amazingly good but again, the way they display images, which cause eye strain and the radiation issue, inherent to such devices, is what made me change over to the LCD.
I hear what you're saying. ;)

Back