DAW to Tape output problem

Your interface has a bunch of RCA outputs...have you tried them to the deck?

The Main outs are XLR Balanced operating at a different reference level than your deck RCA or 1/4" inputs...you can't just use an adapter to change the connector.

This sounds like a gain staging problem.

What are the input gains on the tape deck set at?

What levels are you pushing out of the daw interface?

In theory, a -18dbfs signal in the daw should sit around 0dbvu on the tape deck, with the input gain on the deck set at unity.

This sounds like a gain staging problem.

I agree.

The stereo bus of the DaW stays around -4db after mixing. Deck was at 5 on each input channel

Start by turning your DAW output all the way down, and your interface output level all the way down, and your deck input level at its half-way point.
With the RCA to RCA connections from the interface to the deck...bring up the DAW level so that your output is not peaking more than around -12 at the DAW mains.
Now slowly bring up the interface output level so that you start hearing the signal on the deck side and get it to were the deck meters are only peaking at -3.
(If your interface has no level control for the RCA outputs...then use only the DAW output fader level to bring the deck to the -3 peaks.)

How does it sound?

Also...do you have the deck's outputs by any chance routed back into the interface...?
If you do, you may be getting some loop feedback depending on how you have things routed at the interface.

The deck is not routed back to the interface. Your test didn't stop any noise. I did some investigating and found the noise only Happens when the USB is plugged in on the interface. With the wallwart unplugged and USB connected the noise persists...any thoughts?

Tried the RCA outs on the interface again. Noticed I could reduce the wall of hiss with the decks mpx filter but the levels are way too low even dimed on the interface and PC for any sensible noise floor

If that's the case...all I can suggest is ask Behringer. It's obviously an issue with the USB format either at the interface or the computer end.
You would need another computer to find out which it is...and if it is the interface, then you need a new/different one. Maybe that one is bad...?

If it's just the whole computer "USB" thing...you may not have a way around it.
Is this a laptop?
I run my 1/8" laptop output into my studio monitors all the time when I just want to listen to some music off the internet...and I've never gotten any noise.
So I don't get why you do.
Was the USB interface connected when you tried using the 1/8" output off the computer...? If yes, try it again without the interface connected.

USB hasn't always been the best choice for digital audio, and I don't use it, so I can't make any recommendation how to get around the USB related noise.

Not sure what it is you're trying to do with the audio from the DAW to the cassette...but if you're just sending a stereo mix to the cassette because you want a copy of it on the cassette...you can always try burning the audio to a CD, and then play the CD through a player that has audio outs, and send those to the cassette...and bypass the computer, the USB and the interface.

After considerable searching I have found that the 112 has a 2 core (no earth) mains cable which would appear to rule out my idea of the rare USB-earth-loop-digital-ape-***t happening. However, the deck is rack mountable, is it perhaps IN a rack with other earthed devices? This would then create the possibility of an earth/ground loop.

A clue was given in the information that the MPX filter cleans thing up a bit? Really should not intrude in any audible way.

If this does prove to be a digital 'loop' the best solution is a set or RCA cables with the earths removed, a bit of delicate work with a scalpel. Fortunately RCA-RCAs are cheap as chips!

Dave.

Back