Daptone recording studios...

Wicked cool! :cool::D They have the ampex tape deck I want! I wouldn't mind a copy of that Winehouse vinyl either. Thanks for posting the link.

I think Gabriel Roth (Bosco "Bass" Mann) is an amazing producer. I share his strong prejudice that the art of record making, on a whole, has gotten consistently worse since the sixties. :D

Daptone is backwards

I love how the video ends with a shot of the Daptone logo on the door glass from the inside so its backwards...they're doing things backwards from the way society and the music production industry has gone...and I like it...not just because its backwards...its not a "be different no matter what it is" thing. They are carrying on a tradition and methodology that has largely been left behind for something "better" and "perfect" and "random-access" and "non-destructive".

Man I like watching him handle the tape...threading and rolling.

What model Ampex is that? The 8-track...?

It's actually kind of sad that analog was abandoned prematurely - the truth is technology today could overcome most if not all of the limitations in analog recorders. We aren't that far off from digital being as good or better, however the real problem I see is the complete lack of expertise in the recording industry these days - maybe expertise is the wrong word, but it is basically a lack of technical understanding. Many people can say that digital doesn't sound right or as good to them, but how many people know WHY? Perhaps on these forums many do know why - but in the world in general and the Music Industry in general, most people DO NOT. Including some that are regarded as experts in the field - I will not point fingers or name names, as I am not trying to offend anyone or start any arguments - just making some casual observations. Daptone is a rarity - relatively young people who know WHAT they are doing and exactly WHY they are doing it! What a radical difference from this generation of people who can't program the clock on their VCRs - sorry DVRs now - and who throw away anything that doesn't work perfectly because they have no idea what to do! Sorry if I am getting on a soapbox here, or if my thoughts seem a bit disconnected. Just let me finish by saying I am pleased to have found a place on the internet where people DO try to fix things that aren't perfect and enjoy learning and carrying on traditions. It is a welcome change from everyday life.

AK

Daptone is a rarity - relatively young people who know WHAT they are doing and exactly WHY they are doing it!

Well I think that's the key. There is a reason why they are using analog and it's not just because nostalgia or because it's retro. To me it's like the difference between organic foods or GMO foods. :D

Just let me finish by saying I am pleased to have found a place on the internet where people DO try to fix things that aren't perfect and enjoy learning and carrying on traditions. It is a welcome change from everyday life.

AK

Same here. It's for the love of it.

And ethyrvalve, I agree. It never got better than Eleanor Rigby. :)

Back