Calibration question

FALKEN

does anybody actually get a solid strong signal at 10k on any machine ? or is it generally accepted that it will waver a bit ?

Yeah, I've gotten strong signals at 10k from the get go but there is a trick you can do too. You can use the 10k or (there about) to set the input signal and then bias it down to get more even levels. You just have to keep going back to check the 1k input or across the board and adjust accordingly. I was told this trick by a TEAC tech.

If your machine has good heads and it is properly set up, including tape tension with a tentleometer, the fluctuations should be at a minimum. The Azimuth should be set as close as possible. I have noticed a lot of fluctuations while setting Azimuth with white noise and a 16K signal. I think some fluctuations at high frequencies are expected.
VP

It also depends on the quality of tape used (even diff batches of same tape). On some it will be steady and on others, it will waver. IMHO, as long as it doesn't ridiculously waver, like several db or so, it's fine.

Yeah I had that question too at one point. I noticed the most waver on tracks 1 and 8 of my 58 but never more than +/- 0.5dB...I recently saw a basic how-to video on youtube of somebody setting up basics on their MTR-90 2" 24-track and I could see that wavering a bit too.

does anybody actually get a solid strong signal at 10k on any machine ? or is it generally accepted that it will waver a bit ?

I've owned and used four different 3M machines and they have all had pretty consistent levels at the higher frequencies. The M-23 has the most fluctuation and it follows the periodicity of the 2" capstan, so I assume there is a slight flat spot on the flywheel tire somewhere, or some issue with the capstan itself, that affects the capstan motion a bit. I mainly see it in the alignment process in terms of the relative phase of the two channels at 16K. I get a little wobble in the Lissajous figure.

I recall Mitch Easter saying that his Stephens 16-track was impressive in that at 10K the output and input were virtually indistinguishable. That is one of the early capstanless transports.

Cheers,

Otto

Back