A bit of TASCAM history on eBay....

I think I've seen this set for sale previously. Looks like the seller's having a hard time moving it.

So many similarities on the 70 series decks to the Ampex 440 series recorder. Even the vu meters on it look identical and don't say teac on them!

Cheers! :)

It would be difficult moving it, not just because it's heavy but also how unreliable it would be. The Model 70 is also pretty rare so not many people have good knowledge of that machine to fix or even find parts for.

It would still be a cool set to start up a small commercial studio with I think!

Looks like it's in great condition for how old the stuff is. I think that's a really good price (probably works out to be less than a dollar a pound :p) given that the seller claims it's all working.

Last edited:
that whole setup looks really cool ...

but i wonder if it sounds much different than an 80-8 and a model 5? much smaller !

Its about the 4th time they've been listed on eBay.

There was a thread started back when they were first listed because, IIRC, they were asking, like...$7,500?

Definitely some Ampex 440 influence in the cosmetics on these...different animal though.

This listing is fun to look at. When was the last time you ever saw a complete multitrack mastering setup from Teac's first Tascam offering? These look to be in great condition too.

AFAIC the price is now about right, but I'd see this is a nostalgia setup rather than a production setup. Community support and parts are going to be very scant. Plus I believe the mixer is not a real great unit. I've had dialog with somebody that used one back in the day and got some decent results when using a custom power supply. But as a collection for a Tascam enthusiast who has the space and funds? VERY cool. Would be fun to play with wouldn't it??

The 70 series would be fun if you're a collector I suppose, but this was during Tascam's early experimental years and is pretty horrendous performance and maintenance wise. The 80-series was a big improvement, but even that was no cigar. Tascam didn't really arrive as a serious contender until the introduction of the 30 and 40-series, and other machines from that era. It's cool looking though, I'll give it that much, and if you have a lot of time on your hands... sure, why not!

The one thing I remember most about the 70-8 is that it snapped a lot of tape. It had a really clunky transport that was hard on tape. The only one I ever saw up close was in a local music store with a small studio in a back room. I had never before heard anyone use the F-word as regularly as I did the engineer working with that machine. :)

the mixer has quad panning!
i guess the 80 series and model 5 mixer, which came out 2 years later was much better, but how cool to have everything looking all matchy poo.

Back