Best Use of $1500

nate_dennis

If I were to raise $1500 to spend on the following; tracking deck (8 or 16 track), mixing deck, and mixer for tracking and mixing, what would you recomend?

If I could spend just $1000 that'd be great, but I know it probably wont be possible. I know it's all subjective and prices vary, I'm just looking for a starting place.

Looking to record up to all eight channels at once. Thanks guys. You rock.

If it were me I would probably go for something I have now, an Ampex 440, but maybe an 8 track 1" .... or an MCI 8 track 1". ...or.... there are others. Mixer is trickier, but maybe the Tascam 520. It's hard to say though with that because you would then need to buy something to convert the input to -10 or find another mixer that supports +4. I'm not too familiar with all the mixers out there but the ones that run with the higher voltage get real pricey.

Hmm...

When I first saw the thread title (before reading your first post) I thought "Duh! Best use of $1500?? Give it to ME!" :laughings:

But seriously...give it to me.

:drunk:

Okay.

TSR-8 for the recorder. Prices are good, latest generation 1/2" 8-track and the advantage of onboard dbx.

IIRC you're in Colorado??

You see this???

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1814102721.html

AND the mixer??

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1814121121.html

I'd be doin' THAT!

Here is one to watch that may be close to you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TASCAM-M2600-24-CHANNEL-MIXER-no-reserve-/120586830196?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c13890174

Tascam 2516 or 2600 for 8-buss, M-300B for 4-buss if you don't mind mixing and matching buss and direct outs for 8-track simultaneous...

Mixdown decks? Tascam 32, 42, BR-20, a healthy Otari 5050 is a good bet too.

Okay.

TSR-8 for the recorder. Prices are good, latest generation 1/2" 8-track and the advantage of onboard dbx.

IIRC you're in Colorado??

You see this???

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1814102721.html

AND the mixer??

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1814121121.html

I'd be doin' THAT!

Local is the name of the game. Yup, if I were in our friend's shoes, I'd be doing the above deals. Nice find Cory. Those are real good prices too (actually under-priced IMHO) and from same seller! That A & H board would be killer with the TSR-8. Nate, if you're driving distance, I'd be on the phone with that seller arranging a trip asap. I seem to recall you had a tough time finding anything remotely local? Yeah, Cory's find is the real deal.

One thing that isn't often mentioned is the question of whether you record and track in a separate space or all in one room.

I used to track on a 3M M-56 1" 8 track. It's a sonic monster, but it's important to recognize that most all of the wide track machines are designed for traditional, pro-studio use in a machine room separate from the tracking room and probably separate from the mixing room. Thus, the motors and transports are very robust and also generally pretty noisy, particularly the older machines.

If you are tracking in the same room where all your stuff is, having a big pro machine is a bit of a nuisance in dealing with the transport noise. I used to house the M-56 in a home built soundproofing box and just cover up the top while the transport was running in record mode (as heat build up was a potential issue). Kind of a pain.

These days I track mostly on an Otari 1/2" 8 track, and I have to say that it is quiet enough that I can even track with omni mikes and still get a decently quiet result from the mike, where transport noise is not very much more noticeable than either inherent capsule noise or ambient noise.

Just another thing to factor in...

Cheers,

Otto

Local is the name of the game. Yup, if I were in our friend's shoes, I'd be doing the above deals. Nice find Cory. Those are real good prices too (actually under-priced IMHO) and from same seller! That A & H board would be killer with the TSR-8. Nate, if you're driving distance, I'd be on the phone with that seller arranging a trip asap. I seem to recall you had a tough time finding anything remotely local? Yeah, Cory's find is the real deal.

Yeah!!! The sick part is, I was kind of playing the planning game for later, and now that I found those, I really want to find someone to loan me that money!!! That is a sick deal!!!! I am in driving distance from them and I would love to have that set up. Anyway, thanks so much guys!!!

Yeah!!! The sick part is, I was kind of playing the planning game for later, and now that I found those, I really want to find someone to loan me that money!!! That is a sick deal!!!! I am in driving distance from them and I would love to have that set up. Anyway, thanks so much guys!!!

Here's a thought: Why don't you talk to the seller now, stall for several days or so (so that they hold on to the gear for you) and see if you can come up with the money. Often time, as I found, stuff like this goes quick, especially that you're dealing with pretty sought after pieces, cheap and local too.

I second what Otto said about mechanical noise...The Ampex MM-1000 will be moving into a new music room later this year that will also double as the primary tracking room and I've been bracing for the reality that I will be needing to somehow deal with the transport noise...the cooling fan and the capstan motor alone are really, really noisy. The TSR-8 would likey be a low-maintenance plug and play transport with excellent sonic results and lots of community support with the convenience of onboard noise reduction if used. An Otari 5050 8-track like Otto's is also another very good option and just plain looks cool in its tabletop console cabinet.

Hopefully something works out with that TSR-8/System 8 combo as that would be killer.

Thanks for all the info guys!!! After a panic attack caused by not being able to get the stuff in denver, a lot of time considering a loan, and my wife slapping me in line, I have decided to just wait to start looking till I have the money. :mad:

anyway, thanks a lot for the info.

plan your work and work your plan Nate

just to let you know i picked up my m2600 24/8 for $132.50.... he also threw in $130 worth of Hosa cables...

Frankie

Did you notice on the mixer he had a $10.00 handling fee? Funny thing is that the mixer was pick up only. Thought that was a little strange.

Korg D3200. $1300
Then send away for the VGA hook up. $200.
You wanted "The Best" use of your money, right? :)

Back