BAD news for Tascam 38 users!

dodgeaspen

Horrible news for analog users. I called Teac today looking for channel card relays for my 38 and was told the product is no longer being made. What now? Does anyone know where I can get a few for less then a new car?

Do you have a service manual? I don't and I've not popped the hood on a 38. However, I've delved into my Otari's enough. The relays in my Otari are fairly off the shelf Omrans for which current production (at least when I looked in 2009 or so) substitutes exist. Relays (you're talking relays right, square boxes with electrically thrown switches, just those themselves right?) are pretty basic things, can't imagine they'd be hard to sub, just need to know the specs and footprint. Voltage rating, poles, throws, and footprint. But a lot of that is pretty standardized.

off the shelf Omrans for which current production (at least when I looked in 2009 or so) substitutes exist. Relays (you're talking relays right, square boxes with electrically thrown switches, just those themselves right?) are pretty basic things, can't imagine they'd be hard to sub, just need to know the specs and footprint. Voltage rating, poles, throws, and footprint. But a lot of that is pretty standardized.

Have a look at the Omron site, if the relay is not the same physcial size you may be able to mount it off the board with wires. You need to just match the coil volatge so that it will latch and the number of actual contacts you need.

Alan.

Have a look at the Omron site, if the relay is not the same physcial size you may be able to mount it off the board with wires. You need to just match the coil volatge so that it will latch and the number of actual contacts you need.

Alan.

It took me a while to cross reference the Omran part number to find the specs on it. I may have only located a Japanese pdf file, but the numbers and mechanical drawing were all that was required. Then it was just a matter of finding a similar relay from Omran. I found one almost spot on with maybe slightly higher ratings (as in current handling capacity) and the same size and footprint. I may have written it down in a thread here the equiv part.

Do you have a service manual? I don't and I've not popped the hood on a 38. However, I've delved into my Otari's enough. The relays in my Otari are fairly off the shelf Omrans for which current production (at least when I looked in 2009 or so) substitutes exist. Relays (you're talking relays right, square boxes with electrically thrown switches, just those themselves right?) are pretty basic things, can't imagine they'd be hard to sub, just need to know the specs and footprint. Voltage rating, poles, throws, and footprint. But a lot of that is pretty standardized.

I do have the manual but it's loaned out right now. I will be getting it back in the next week or so.

I contacted Rolf from Vintage Texas with no luck. He suggested I contact New Jersey Factory Service,Inc and they are checking the stock for me. I'll contact him on Tuesday and report back.

Three different relays.... They all are 24 volt relays so that makes things easier.

K101 Omron G2E-182P-H
K102 NEC reed relay RP1A24
K103 Omron G2V-2

K103 is easy. Same relay as used in MS16 channel cards. Somewhere way back in the MS16 thread of mine you can find the relays I used.

The other Omron(K101) should be cross referenced to another omron. Fouund a few of those in a google search. As for the reed relay it appears that an AD1A24 fromm American relays might work. Give them a call and ask them to cross reference.

http://www.americanrelays.com/dip.pdf

Regards, Ethan

Three different relays.... They all are 24 volt relays so that makes things easier.

K101 Omron G2E-182P-H
K102 NEC reed relay RP1A24
K103 Omron G2V-2

K103 is easy. Same relay as used in MS16 channel cards. Somewhere way back in the MS16 thread of mine you can find the relays I used.

The other Omron(K101) should be cross referenced to another omron. Fouund a few of those in a google search. As for the reed relay it appears that an AD1A24 fromm American relays might work. Give them a call and ask them to cross reference.

http://www.americanrelays.com/dip.pdf

Regards, Ethan

Just looking at the manual and I only see K102 & 103 From what I remember the relay with the metal cover is generally the one that gives trouble, right? That would be the K102, right?

Just looking at the manual and I only see K102 & 103 From what I remember the relay with the metal cover is generally the one that gives trouble, right? That would be the K102, right?

K103 is the one under the metal can. It is used to switch the heads as I recall. K101 is located on the opposite side of the board near the edge and K102 is just inboard of that near J102.

Regards, ethan

Back