Ahhhh geeeez somebody buy this quick!!!

Deal of the day!

Edit: someone buy it so all temptations are removed from you to snag it up? :D

Yeah that's pretty much where I'm coming from. Yeah that's a good deal...condition unknown of course. I remember I paid $250 for my first open reel multitrack machines...a 58 and a 48...$250 for the pair. $500 for the 58 in the listing above but it comes with the period appropriate rolling rack (CS-607) and the M-312. The 58 is the only self-contained 8-track machine Teac made with a semi-closed loop tape path...the transport plate is thick aluminum, not formed steel. Amp cards are identical to those found in the MS16.

Well it bit ya, didn't it.:D
If I was in your part of the country, it would have bit me too. Even if I didn't have the money. I would have raised it. :D

Welllllll it's like this: I used to own a 58...there is a good sized "Story" thread on this forum. It was minty. Had the SUPER rare RC-51 full-function remote for it...rack ears...CS-607 rack...it was easily 9/10 condition. I accidentally connected an amp card offset by one pin to the extended card and killed a bunch of stuff on it. Very regretful and maddening. Was over my head and ended up selling the deck to evm1024. He fixed it, and years later still has it and is trying to sell it. Anyway, I always liked the unique place held by the 58 in Tascam history...it's interesting to me...the 80-8 basically split into two lines: the 38 and 58. And the 58 was a heavy build geared for the professional video house market. I always liked that, at the time, it was Tascam's pinnacle 1/2" 8-track machine. And I like that it still has the orange accents on the tape head cover. I like that the amp cards are the same as the MS16. I've waffled about quite a bit for many years on what mixer or mixers to keep and what to sell...actively tried to sell the prototype M-__ mixer for awhile, then dug back in to try and actually finish it...restore it to functionally (maybe) better than when it left the R&D department. Still working on that, but the M-__ is here to stay...for awhile the music room here at home is a smaller shared space...the Ampex MM-1000 won't fit. And the M-__ is a bit of a mismatch anyway if the Ampex was setup for 2" 16-track, plus the M-__ is internally a -10dbV unbalanced board...so I recall when I recommitted to the M-__ project I had a renewed regret for how the 58 turned out, because cosmetically they were a matched pair (that putty and brown color scheme with a hint of orange), and functionally they were a match (8-buss board, 8-track machine, and both natively -10dbV with RCA jack interface)...and it has a fighting chance of physically fitting where the mixer and drums and everything are setup. I like sets of things...like having a machine with the proper accessories. That's the collector in me. And the 58 always seemed like the matched set for the M-__. So that 58 came up on Craigslist for that very decent price, and it had my attention. Then when it went from $500 to $450 after a day...it had more attention. When it was still there after another day...well...here we are. Its presently in the care of a friend and I'll see what I actually bought next week.

What I DO know is I paid $450 for a 58-OU. That means it doesn't have the balanced I/O. I don't really care about that. Less to go wrong, the mixer is unbalanced, and the audio performance is better using the unbalanced I/O on a 58 anyway. But the seller was/is part of a band that bought it to record with, had a tech align it and go through it, but then didn't end up using it...it is supposedly fully functional, comes with the factory rack ears and the proper CS-607 rolling rack, original factory operation/maintenance manual, some audio snakes, some blank tape (probably garbage), and a Tascam M-312 mixer.

By the pictures the 58 and rack look like they need some cleaning up, but look like they are in pretty good shape...everything appears to be there, though I see evidence of a humid environment so I'm a bit wary of that. The 58 looks early. The shuttle wheel to the left of the head assembly that is also the tach roller lacks a finger indentation. I believe that is indicative it is an early model...perfect for my eclectic mixer.

Heads look decent although the pictures aren't the best, but I don't see any keystoning, and the wear on the lifters looks nominal...medium wear, which means the heads likely have a fair amount of life left.

No remote, but I would probably be sacrificing a track and syncing the machine anyway using my Timeline Micro Lynx, and I have the tabletop controller for that which means I have at least a comprehensive transport remote...

Pictures...

Some of the machine and then the heads:

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure yet on the mixer. I've confirmed it is missing the faux wood side panels, but as far as functional and cosmetic condition (outside of the missing panels) I won't know until I pick it up and then have a chance to test it.

Back