8 or 16 Track Tape Machine

Per the website, JRF has the stock of Nortronics. Also, I stumbled across a head manufacurer somewhere in the midwest, I emailed them, but never got a response back, and their website had what looked like a 16 track 1" head as an example (I think the company primarily makes heads for ATMs or POS and data type of machines.) I have the link somewhere.

New heads for the 388 huh, Tim? No kiddin'! :eek:

Betcha they're about $600 tho'.

Hey, I agree with everything Beck said about the logic on the late model Tascam machines...I have a BR-20T and I'm guessing that the transport logic is similar and the BR-20 is an impressive performer in terms of precisioin and gentle operation on the tape. Truly a joy to watch it chase-lock.

I've had a 58 and a 48. The 58 definitely has mojo appeal as far as "table-top" 1/2" 8-track machines go, both visually and the amp electronics are neat (same as used in the MS-16)...hurky build quality. The 48 doesn't have the same hurkiness to it but I REALLY learned to appreciate the ease of the tape path setup on the 48 as compared to the 58, and the tape handling is a bit more refined. BUT...

Based on my experience with the BR-20T, were I in the market for a 1/2" 8-track, the TSR-8 would be at the top of my list I believe...too much going for it to ignore it you know? Quite a number of respected users here swear by them, the dbx is built-in which has convenience value but also sonic value in avoiding cable interconnection and quite a bit of circuitry, they are relatively compact, great user community and parts support...and Beck is spot-on AFAIC about the heads...LOOOONG time before you can no longer find heads for ANY of those machines (38/48/58/TSR-8/ATR60-8)...We can thank Teac for using the same head on all those machines.

Beck's right too to not forget about the Otari 5050-8...that's a good machine and ALSO well supported.

WOW Cory!
You completely blew me out of the water!
Makes sense. I've seen that M-500, it's a very strange mixer.
Definitely looks like a prototype.
Great info.
I apologize for challenging you

Hey...seriously-seriously-seriously I didn't take it as a challenge and I apologize if I came off like I was trying to slam the door on you.

I just really like talking about this stuff...it fascinates me which is the main reason I go on and on about it.

I got all my information from the Tascam history dissertation that's been bouncing around for quite some time as well as Randy Alberts' Tascam: 30 Years of Recording Evolution book...and of course all the folks around here...I really focused a bit on the early 80's mixers because of that prototype mixer I have...trying to get answers by looking at the "known quantities".

So anyway, please don't take my response as some sort of slam...I'm just one of those geeky guys that would be just as happy as anything to sit and jabber about Tascam analog gear with somebody.

Back