388 back up and running - head aligned!

Goldenvoice388

To follow up on a very crooked head. I returned the 388 to the Service Center today, and explained again the head was visually out of alignment, explaining the whacked response across the tracks. 2 hours later, I returned, and tried her out. Same scenario.

So they called out the head tech, who took it in back again, only to return 1/2 hour later to let me test it again. I explained again the heads Zenith is Whacked...

Finally, 3 hours after we started, I got through to them. They had the head re-contoured by Sprague Magnetics. They sent in the entire head-set, including the guides and all, to Sprague. They had been ASSUMING that Sprague had correctly set the Azimuth and Zenith.

Which they hadn't. Or which got messed all to hell in shipping.

FINALLY the tech returned the 388 to the bench, and aligned the dawg-gone head!!!! :D :rolleyes: :o

Gee, things fell right in place after that. Things are running much better - not perfect, but much better - things are at least ballpark. A quick levels check with a mic - recording all 8 at once, shows track one a little bit dull. Track 5 shows a little low on the meter, but sounds like the others. This was a very quick check once home. I have a jingle hitting tape within the week, so I'll get a better feel for it.

Was strange to have the head tech, and the shop manager be so slow to catch on to what I was telling them.

Glad they finally did. I don't know by what method he set the Zenith, and I'll keep an eye on the head wear patterns, as we should all do anyway.

Atleast it LOOKS straight now!!!

Back to recording :) :D :eek:

G

Well, I decided today, if I am to keep recording to tape, I had better put "basic service, alignment, and calibration of analog tape recorders" on my "to learn" list.

Yes, I still can't believe they ever sent it home like that with me the first time :eek: :mad: :confused:

Thanks so much for your time and input - helped me through this for sure. Probably saved the 388 from becoming erosion control in the creek by the house :eek:

So how does one check and set the Zenith, anyway?

Goldenvoice :)

Goldenvoice388 said:
To follow up on a very crooked head. I returned the 388 to the Service Center today, and explained again the head was visually out of alignment, explaining the whacked response across the tracks. 2 hours later, I returned, and tried her out. Same scenario.

So they called out the head tech, who took it in back again, only to return 1/2 hour later to let me test it again. I explained again the heads Zenith is Whacked...

Finally, 3 hours after we started, I got through to them. They had the head re-contoured by Sprague Magnetics. They sent in the entire head-set, including the guides and all, to Sprague. They had been ASSUMING that Sprague had correctly set the Azimuth and Zenith.

Which they hadn't. Or which got messed all to hell in shipping.

FINALLY the tech returned the 388 to the bench, and aligned the dawg-gone head!!!! :D :rolleyes: :o

Gee, things fell right in place after that. Things are running much better - not perfect, but much better - things are at least ballpark. A quick levels check with a mic - recording all 8 at once, shows track one a little bit dull. Track 5 shows a little low on the meter, but sounds like the others. This was a very quick check once home. I have a jingle hitting tape within the week, so I'll get a better feel for it.

Was strange to have the head tech, and the shop manager be so slow to catch on to what I was telling them.

Glad they finally did. I don't know by what method he set the Zenith, and I'll keep an eye on the head wear patterns, as we should all do anyway.

Atleast it LOOKS straight now!!!

Back to recording :) :D :eek:

G

THAT is why anyone who deals with recorder repair ONLY uses JRF. They have an incredible track record. Ask Fletcher. He used to deal in used pro tape decks and swears by JRF (and he tried them all)

Oh, and BTW, I would not let any tech touch my deck if he can't fix a problem when he is told point blank what the problem is!

I wonder how many problems he could fix if he goes in blind?

Thanks gang. So, since I still have not located a good analog tech in my region, and I have other folks in my area watching this situation, and e-mailing me as to whether or not I recommend 'Service center X', makes me think all the more about learning to DIY.

Is there any good, easy for a beginner to understand, resources (think book) to get me started ? I know really knowing this stuff takes years, just like playing an instrument, or sound engineering, but a better understanding, and knowing what tools to buy, etc - might be a start.

I can relate this whole experience to: I like and drive (generally) vintage iron. I know vintage iron - good enough to keep my rigs running top-notch. I can't pay a pro mechanic to keep everything running/working smooth - nobody is going to take the time, or care, about my rig like I do. "most" pro mechanics are in it to make money - time issue - just like the average bench tech. If I learn the ins and outs of an analog deck, I can sit for hours, if need be, tweaking things until they're just right!

Need: scope - used market price - certain brands and/or models?
signal generator ?
etc...

As time goes, the more of us who know this art, the better the future of audio recording!

G ;)

Goldenvoice388 said:
Thanks gang. So, since I still have not located a good analog tech in my region, and I have other folks in my area watching this situation, and e-mailing me as to whether or not I recommend 'Service center X', makes me think all the more about learning to DIY.

Is there any good, easy for a beginner to understand, resources (think book) to get me started ? I know really knowing this stuff takes years, just like playing an instrument, or sound engineering, but a better understanding, and knowing what tools to buy, etc - might be a start.

I can relate this whole experience to: I like and drive (generally) vintage iron. I know vintage iron - good enough to keep my rigs running top-notch. I can't pay a pro mechanic to keep everything running/working smooth - nobody is going to take the time, or care, about my rig like I do. "most" pro mechanics are in it to make money - time issue - just like the average bench tech. If I learn the ins and outs of an analog deck, I can sit for hours, if need be, tweaking things until they're just right!

Need: scope - used market price - certain brands and/or models?
signal generator ?
etc...

As time goes, the more of us who know this art, the better the future of audio recording!

G ;)

The problem is that there are fewer analog techs these days because these machines are gone. Making a living off of analog repair is dwindling. If you and others want to keep analog tape decks running, it is necessary to learn how to fix them. You are making a good first step.

Go to my post about "Interesting Thingie for Tape Junkies"" and you will find a bunch of links for every skill level out there.

Back