32-2 , 42 , 52 , 60/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

talon

Not very familiar with Tascam/TEAC reel recorders, besides what I've read about, and the things I've read on forums etc....

Would like to pick the brains of a few of the Tascam/TEAC bunch, and there are many of you here. :)

The models I would like for you to discuss and comment on are:

32-2
60/2

And how they would stack up against models like:

Studer/Revox : A807/C270 ; B67/A700 ; PR99/B77

Otari : Any models in the 5050 series.

and any of their cousin Tascam/TEAC models, if you wish.

My interests run towards .25 in., 1/2 track, 15ips mastering decks.

Last edited:
talon said:

32-2
60/2
those are great machines.
\end of discussion.
for me, anyway
:)

P.S.
talon said:
Orari : Any models in the 5050 series.
I see no reason for stacking up anything against them. What's the point? :confused:
/respects ;)

talon said:
Not very familiar with Tascam/TEAC reel recorders, besides what I've read about, and the things I've read on forums etc....

Would like to pick the brains of a few of the Tascam/TEAC bunch, and there are many of you here. :)

32-2
60/2

My interests run towards .25 in., 1/2 track, 15ips master decks.

Studer and Revoxes (some) are made for pro recording studios. They have better transports, heads, higher headroom electronics and are MUCH easier to get to the alignment electronics for aligning every session if need be. They also are far easier to maintain. The TASCAMS and Otaris (home recorders) werte made to be cost effective. The actual difference to you depends on what you are doing and how much you want to spend.

talon said:

32-2
60/2

My interests run towards .25 in., 1/2 track, 15ips master decks.

But what exactly are you trying to compare ? There are so many variables that come into play here.

There is really nothing inferior about several of the recorders you outline above, especially the 42, 52 and 60/2 line. They were made to be solid studio machines built very heavy duty with emphasis on better, more quiet electronics. The recorders certainly hold their own. I would not classify them as just some inferior "home recorders". The 32-2 (and incidentally the 22-2), on the other hand, was meant to be a budget version of these and thus is built accordingly. Not to imply, however, that it doesn't sound good. It certainly does and no one but a select few, either from the so called "pro" crowd or owners of more higher end offerings, would be able to criticize it. But then it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

I agree with Dr. Zee that there's really no point to this, other than to divide some of us. I generally recommend getting any of the mentioned machines and looking mostly at picking the best condition unit, preferably locally. At this point in the game, THAT is the best option. Look at condition, is the bottom line.

cjacek said:
I would not classify them as just some inferior "home recorders".
"Home" stands for: personal, private, special, genuine, honest, trusty, devoting, authentic, peculiar, unpretentious, deception-free.
"Home" stand next to: Mother, Father, Wife, Husband, Son, Daughter, Life, Reality, Actuality, Meaning, Truth.
Home => Superior.
"Professional" simply implies the type of activity or the confirmation to an adopted standard. And that's about it.
:D

True, Doc. :D Also, I wonder if it infact were the so called "pros" out-there who originally coined the term "semi-pro", to feel better about their $50,000 Studers! :eek: :D :p ;)

cjacek said:
But what exactly are you trying to compare ? There are so many variables that come into play here.
As my last statement said, My interests lean towards .25 in, 1/2-track mastering decks. If I was totally specific, my post would be very long, so I chose to leave it as a general question for those that may have experience with at least one or more of the other models, that I have used and will offer an honest comparison. I am familiar with the ones I mentioned, just not the Tascam models. I was considering adding one to my "already too many" recorders, as my wife sees it.
cjacek said:
There is really nothing inferior about several of the recorders you outline above, especially the 42, 52 and 60/2 line. They were made to be solid studio machines built very heavy duty with emphasis on better, more quiet electronics. The recorders certainly hold their own. I would not classify them as just some inferior "home recorders".
You sound very defensive? I'm not implying these units are inferior, merely wanted some information about units that I'm not familiar with. I wouldn't have mentioned them unless I was interested in buying one??
cjacek said:
I agree with Dr. Zee that there's really no point to this, other than to divide some of us.
You know, I asked this question to get information, not to "divide anyone"! If you don't wish to help, then don't answer my friggin' post! Just cruise on to other threads and leave the drama some where else.

I have no life experience with Tascam/TEAC RtR's to make any comparisons with. All I want is general info for a possible future purchase.

Thanks to anyone who wishes to offer their knowledge or opinions to me.

Chears! but NO DRAMA. Please... :)

MCI2424 said:
They have better transports, heads, higher headroom electronics and are MUCH easier to get to the alignment electronics for aligning every session if need be. They also are far easier to maintain.The TASCAMS and Otaris (home recorders) werte made to be cost effective.
Thx...Things to think about. Solid and quiet transports are important to me, and maintenance is always a big factor. Higher headroom, I need it :D

I may opt for another Revox instead, although my wife says, I have way too many now. :)

talon, I apologize if you took my comments as meaning something else than what I had intended. Those who spend much time here, on this forum, know exactly where I'm coming from and what can happen when questions like this get asked, especially from some with low amount of posts and questionable intent.

Much of what I said was not necessarily intended for you but rather was about my general feeling on the topic of comparing such gear. I was merely trying to make sure the thread doesn't escalate into something like an analog vs digital thread. In this instance, it would be pro vs semi-pro. That's not needed.

There are differences in the gear you asked about but you did not specify exactly what you were looking to find out. You say you're familiar with the other, non TASCAM / TEAC models, so I think it would benefit to at least give a bit of background about your needs and what you're looking and not looking for, rather than ask a blanket, open ended question like that and then go off on me when I try to do my best to answer.

Last edited:
talon said:
Solid and quiet transports are important to me, and maintenance is always a big factor. Higher headroom, I need it :D

Then several of the TASCAM models can fit the bill here too. The higher end models have especially excellent, bullet proof transports, very easy on the tape, are quiet, have excellent electronics and good headroom, are easy to maintain, calibrate, parts are available and at times cheaper than the competition. TASCAM stocks many new parts and still services these units.

No problem cjacek, thx for saying that, sorry if I was too abrupt.

To clarify......

I read my own posts, and realized it may look like I was saying I had all those other decks mentioned. No.
I only have two decks presently. Have owned or used the mentioned models in past or present.

I think all RtR's serve a purpose. They all have their own merit. RtR's are my drug, and I'm addicted. My wife hates it, but she has excepted me, and not required me to go into rehab :D

If I had the money I would probably own hundreds of RtR's, and they wouldn't all be $30,000 Studers either. Each have their own sound & idiosyncrasies. I have not been fortunate enough money wise, to be able to try as many RtR's as I would like.

I have been limited to 4 brands.

I have been considering branching out to a new brand. And let me say from the start, it's not because I'm dissatisfied with the current decks I have, or because I didn't like brand A or B. Just wanting to possibly broaden my horizon a bit.

I hope some of you, that have had experiences that I haven't, will feel compelled to share them with me. Thx :)

Comments about transports, ease of calibrating, maintenance, parts availability, sound characteristics etc... Would be great. Even the dislikes of them, if you can be candid and totally honest.

I am glad to see, that a few already have experience with the 32, 42, 52, 60/2 models. I assume most have experience with the 32.

Last edited:
TASCAM and Otari made a wide range of pro and semi-pro machines. The Japanese machines are generally well made, and TASCAM in particular was conservative when listing specs.

At one time the TASCAM 32 was one of the most prolific ¼” half-tracks ever made. You could find it in small and large recording studios, radio and TV broadcast facilities, film studios, colleges, government agencies, etc. In that regard its more than field proven.

When looking at sonic performance alone you won’t find as much difference across the ¼” half-track species as you might think. Signal-to-noise is roughly 70 dB, THD is between 0.5 to 1% and wow & flutter are too close to hear a difference. When you add noise reduction into the mix things are even closer. Even the low-cost 22-2 has plenty of headroom.

The 22-2 is my personal fav. Its small, light and has sound on par with larger machines. It doesn’t even have a return-to-zero feature, but it sounds great.

For comparison, I would prefer the TASCAM 22-2 to the A77 and the 32 to the A77 or B77.

A lot of features are really just potential features if you don't use them. For example, easy to calibrate isn't much of a selling point if you only have to check it once a year.

Most machines can be improved if you are into hacking. The op-amps in some of the older Studers, Otaris and TASCAMs can be replaced with better varieties that didn’t exist when the decks were made.

The TASCAM 42 or BR-20 will get you more features and pro (+4 dB) input/output. For the project studio or home environment the TASCAMs are a good investment since parts are still available from the manufacturer at reasonable cost.

talon said:
No problem cjacek, thx for saying that, sorry if I was too abrupt.

No worries! :)

Comments about transports, ease of calibrating, maintenance, parts availability, sound characteristics etc... Would be great. Even the dislikes of them, if you can be candid and totally honest.

One of the things I really love about the Otari units is their ease of calibration / biasing, from the front panel. That is really the biggest thing for me and an advantage over some of the TASCAM units, especially if you like to align very often and switch tapes.

I also think, as MCI2424 already pointed out, that in addition to easier calibrating / alignment, the Otaris and Studers of the world have a much easier way to access and service the units, pull components out etc .... The higher end TASCAM machines also are pretty easy in this regard too.

Parts are generally plentiful and a lot cheaper for the TASCAM machines, including heads etc ....

You, of course, will get a different sound as you progress from a TEAC to a TASCAM to a Studer etc .... but, in my opinion, this is not that big of a deal. It's not like going from cassette to open reel. It's not that dramatic of a difference. There is some but not much for me to consider moving over to an Otari or a Studer. So many people made great records on a TASCAM so that's not an issue for me. I think, that, if I wanted easier alignment and servicing of my unit then I'd go with something like a 42, 52, 60/2, BR-20 or an Otari, Studer and some Revox....

I assume most have experience with the 32.

That's because the 32 (and 22-2) is plentiful on the used market, goes for peanuts and sounds great! :)

talon said:
If you don't wish to help, then don't answer my friggin' post! Just cruise on to other threads and leave the drama some where else.
How about this: if you don't like the answer to your friggin' post, just ignore it and save instructions on how to answer posts for your wife. :)
talon said:
NO DRAMA. Please... :)
A 100 year old caveman stacking up 32-2 42 52 60/2 against A807/C270 ; B67/A700 ; PR99/B77 and against any models in the 5050 series is nothing more than an introduction to an overcast obscure drama.
I can smell drama from a mile away. I've learned it from my dogs.
/later
P.S.
talon said:
All I want is general info for a possible future purchase.
This is a discussion forum. This is NOT a free on-line shopping guide service.

Hang on... Here We Go! :D

Attachments

• dave_madonna.jpg
    dave_madonna.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 85
Dr ZEE said:
"Home" stands for: personal, private, special, genuine, honest, trusty, devoting, authentic, peculiar, unpretentious, deception-free.
"Home" stand next to: Mother, Father, Wife, Husband, Son, Daughter, Life, Reality, Actuality, Meaning, Truth.
Home => Superior.
"Professional" simply implies the type of activity or the confirmation to an adopted standard. And that's about it.
:D

Umm...................With all due respect, a "professional" READ commercial tape deck is vastly different in practically all aspects you can think of. To place these decks into the same class based on whether you make money or not (professional) is kind'a foolish. The guy wants to know how home some of these non-commercial decks stack up to commercial decks, and he deserves real answers. There are huge differences and the non-commercial decks are fine for home recording (like what they were designed, marketed and sold for). Commercial decks are fine for commercial recording like what they are designed for. If this guy intends to record like everyday, he would be served better with a commercial deck which will last tons longer and be servicable, can be aligned in minutes, and has many more parts available than the non-commercial decks. If he wants a deck to record projects (either pro or non-pro) he would be better served with a non-commercial deck if he does'nt have heavy, daily use.

So, now that we can get rid of this "professional" word that you can't stand, I will settle on "commercial" and "non-commercial" catagories in describing equipment in the future.

I don't feel their is any argument over what differences recorders have, as they are obvious and grounded in fact, but I do feel that each type of recorder has it's uses and place. I don't mean a "home" recorder is useless by any means. In it's place, it is the best tool.

Dr ZEE said:
How about this: if you don't like the answer to your friggin' post, just ignore it and save instructions on how to answer posts for your wife. :)
You are crossing the line, you little twit! You assholes think you can say what you want online, because no one can get to you. I'm gonna give you one break, as you must be ignorant, on bringing my wife up, in a post. You bring her up anytime, in anyway, in this forum, and I will find you. I travel with work. Have worked in the city thru local #3 and Long Island thru local #25(I see your in NY).

Or loudmouth, PM me, to set up a meeting, and I wanna see how brash you talk in person? I'll be waiting on PM, unless you have a YELLOW streak running down your back & your just talk, talk, talk?

Dr ZEE said:
How about this: if you don't like the answer to your friggin' post, just ignore it and save instructions on how to answer posts for your wife.

talon said:
You are crossing the line, you little twit!
I agree talon.... He shows "Big 0" as far as having any class & seems to not have respect for others!
He should not have gotten personal and brought up a family member in a post, and SHOULD apologize. Please PM me, and let me know if he doesn't, and I will put him on my ignore list. It will be a boycott of his words :).

I'm Union too, brother. Been to local #3 myself, signed in Long Island, but never worked there. Great to see a fellow brother online!

Try to ignore the loudmouths on forum, I think they are probably guys who got picked on when young, and now think they can run their mouths, while online, without fear of getting their butts kicked.

Peace, Brother.....

PM me anyway, we can Jaw some.

MCI2424 said:
The guy wants to know how home some of these non-commercial decks stack up to commercial decks, and he deserves real answers.
Thanks, that is EXACTLY what I want.

MCI2424 said:
If this guy intends to record like everyday, he would be served better with a commercial deck which will last tons longer and be servicable, can be aligned in minutes, and has many more parts available than the non-commercial decks. If he wants a deck to record projects (either pro or non-pro) he would be better served with a non-commercial deck if he does'nt have heavy, daily use.
I do record daily, and align quite often,so these are important factors, thanks for mentioning them.

MCI2424 said:
I don't feel their is any argument over what differences recorders have, as they are obvious and grounded in fact, but I do feel that each type of recorder has it's uses and place.
I really apreciate all your comments, they were all extremely lucid.

I am new to this forum stuff. I have been recording many years, but lately have gotten the nerve to get online. I thought it would be no problem to ask questions regarding different recorders. I am really blown away, with the brand loyalty, regardless of merit that goes on. And the apparent rudeness exibited by some over simple questions.

I have owned nothing but Studer/Revox RtR's. Have used three other brands thru friends, but it's all I have to go on. I want to add a deck, and thought I might branch out.

I wanted to know the differences, so I can decide if the reduced money spent (What my wife wants :) ), will get me a deck that will last and be useful for me.

Thanks again MCI for your honest comments.

treidm: PM sent to you, brother...

talon said:
You are crossing the line, you little twit! You assholes think you can say what you want online, because no one can get to you. I'm gonna give you one break, as you must be ignorant, on bringing my wife up, in a post. You bring her up anytime, in anyway, in this forum, and I will find you. I travel with work. Have worked in the city thru local #3 and Long Island thru local #25(I see your in NY).

Or loudmouth, PM me, to set up a meeting, and I wanna see how brash you talk in person? I'll be waiting on PM, unless you have a YELLOW streak running down your back & your just talk, talk, talk?
All right, big guy. I am really sorry.
Please forgive an ignorant little twit and an asshole. I regret replying to your posts. I do better in the future and watch my laudmouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back