MR70 restoration almost done

FAST996

Finally I am very close to my dream machine was lucky to find this 2 track 1/4" Ampex machine.After much help and lots of time this deck is working.The headstack is off to JRF for cleaning and relap of the heads.I love the look of the MR70, classic machine, rare to find many machines in any condition.Those wanting to restore old tape machines it is a tedious job but well worth it.

70m1.jpg

mr70-2a.jpg

MR70TRAN1.jpg

Last edited:
The Otari R-750 mirror master recorder (MMR) is far different if that's what you meant.

The recorder I restored is analog mfg by Ampex in 1966.

The MR-70 is one of my all-around favorite tape machines. Not sure what it is about them but they are just...cool.

You familiar with Steve Puntolillo's MR-70's at Sonicraft?

How much work did you have to get into on the electronics? I understand the nuvistors to be a demanding element of refurbishing an MR-70.

Does yours have the viscous-damped reel idler flywheel in it? And if so I'm curious if you checked the fluid level. If it does and you didn't I'd bet it is low on the 200cs Dow Corning 200 silicone fluid. The MM-1000's have the same flywheel. The shell is (relatively porous) cast aluminum and the fluid seeps out over the decades. I'm presently collaborating with someone on a permanent fix to this.

Anyway, thanks much for putting up thread. You've definitely got a fan here.

Hey thanks.I know you've done some restoration yourself in fact i've read all your posts regarding the 440-8 .
The electronics have been gone through and the nuvistors i test for noise they are known to oscillate
so there hand picked.

The rubber capstan wheel was also redone to original MR70 specification special nitrile rubber.

Yes it has the viscous- damped flywheel assembly & and has been checked & filled.
I am interested in your fix for these types keep me posted.

I posted a picture of the transport mechanism,motors,flywheel ect. The big bugaboo with these are the telephone relays luckily these work fine.

The motors were all gone through new bearings oem spec Fafnir ABEC7 as called for.

Many caps,resisters,diodes changed mostly in the power supply.You really have to love this stuff as it is time consuming.Plus lot's of help from Steve & Charlie over on the Ampex List.

Thanks for your reply & good listening.

Last edited:
Back