whats your 2020 setup?

As the Corona pandemic has me grounded on my third month now I decided to make use of all the free time on my hands, so I wrote seven songs in seven days. Songs written, tracked, mixed - and release two hours before deadline on day seven.

It’s seven song in quite different styles of music. The album is called “20/20 Vision”.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on the songs - link below :-)

20/20 Vision by Torsten Matthiessen | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The first two were great, 3 goes into impressive blues, wide variety of music, Word of Art ...I could imagine some overdubs and fills...another genre, I like it.
Place of my Own some nice deep bass going on...mellow, I could hear more reverb on the vox like that Marco dude, like that one too.
Last Day is my least favorite, the screeching guitar in the right channel takes away from the song...the guitars on the left don't seem to have it, the songs good enough.

pretty amazing work, everythings well balanced and a surprising variety. # 2 my fav, or #4.

The limitations of shittiness of sound have challenged me into making them into something I really like. As an additional sound, I'm going to try to mic an unplugged electric with the pre~amp boosting, just to see where that takes me
A few days after I wrote this, on a total whim and right out of the blue, I bought an electric 12 string guitar. Though it's shaped like a strat, it's a £90 {well, £89.99 ~ $110 !} crummy Gear For Music plank of wood and strings. But I love it. I've had a electro~acoustic 12 string for 21 years and used it hundreds of times and got some great electric sounds out of it, necessity being the mother and all that. But I'd never even held an electric 12 string before so probably the reason I dig the sound of the GFM is because I have no frame of reference to compare it with. That suits me fine and I've recorded with it and it does what I need it to.
This is one of those rare occasions where ignorance is bliss !
Oh,and by the way, the mic recordings of the un~amped electrics {both 12 and 6} were oddly cool. They had this nice jangly-ness about them.

I don't know who here recommended the Cloudlifter to me, but its really been a 5 Star item for my desktop setup.
I learned today, the Radial JDI I have can plug into the Cloudlifter and that's really been a very nice little boost!

Spent all morning for about the 5th or 6th time of comparing this "2020" setup (the Cloudlifter/JDI) to some rack gear.
The CL and JDI has the lowest noise floor, less cables, less everything... etc..etc.. less hassle. Sound great...
2020 resolution was to play, write, record more than Tech-Review compare gear holy grail seeking rabbit hole stuff.... but I got GAS and wanted to see if the CL & JDI would stand up and they really work great for a desktop hrs.

nice big fat wave forms with best noise floor I can muster in this hobbit hole!

Attachments

• 2020 setup June.png
    2020 setup June.png
    784.3 KB · Views: 27
I don't know who here recommended the Cloudlifter to me, but its really been a 5 Star item for my desktop setup.
I learned today, the Radial JDI I have can plug into the Cloudlifter and that's really been a very nice little boost!

Spent all morning for about the 5th or 6th time of comparing this "2020" setup (the Cloudlifter/JDI) to some rack gear.
The CL and JDI has the lowest noise floor, less cables, less everything... etc..etc.. less hassle. Sound great...
2020 resolution was to play, write, record more than Tech-Review compare gear holy grail seeking rabbit hole stuff.... but I got GAS and wanted to see if the CL & JDI would stand up and they really work great for a desktop hrs.

nice big fat wave forms with best noise floor I can muster in this hobbit hole!

What's the pre? I can't tell. So the CL goes BEFORE the pre? Does it do that much for the dynamic mics?

Yes the CL adds gain before the interface preamp. Its a booster, so its CL+Interface Preamp.
Basically its a preamp that has two gain stages, #1 is the CL, the # 2 is the interface preamp gain stage.
The "DI" to this preamp/setup is a Radial JDI … nice.

My surprise was my JDI , was going into my interface mic preamp, but it was a little weak, and so I read about it and its a mic level signal, so I plugged the JDI into the CL, and it gave a really nice boost too, getting my nice fat waveform, with ease.

Its great for a small desktop setup, less cables, less noise, less hassle, not super cheap but professional gear for $149, $199 …

<add> this JDI makes my Fender electric 6 string sound pretty decent too for a clean, chimey, track.

Last edited:
Back