Guys, I need serious help.

Simple (for me, anyway) test: tap your speaker through pad and send to converter. The only difference in wire gauge at AF is resistance. The resistance must get high enough to be material with respect to the varying impedance of the driver in question to be audible. You can solve for that, or you can just measure the change in frequency response as you change cable gauge with the test rig formerly described.

I am not that bored, so I'm not going to do it myself . . .

So, I got it working.
But, I have one problem... why does it seem like the sound crackles on S's and stuff and starts to staticy?

I use 3/4' copper pipe... to truly exploit the "Skin effect" (Which is a real effect... higher frequencies are more effected).

You just bust open your walls, and run the pipes in there... looks and sounds great...

First floors, with unfinished basements are easier to work with...

So, I got it working.
But, I have one problem... why does it seem like the sound crackles on S's and stuff and starts to staticy?
It's not from the speaker wires. You'd have to tell more about your setup to get a good answer on that. It could be your pre amp, your gain staging, your mic or instrument, your computer's processor and/or software etc... It could even be a bad speaker coil or amp. Are they new? Did you ever hear them work right? Swapping out parts one at a time is a good way to narrow down the problem.e.g try a different speaker, amp, mic etc... You have to love trouble shooting!:)

...the sound crackles...

This could be related to the "Amp Crackling" thread in the Guitar Forum. I'll ask the same question I asked over there.

Is it something like pork crackling?

ebbdde887f213f048d5026d68c42a5a9.jpg

I use 3/4' copper pipe... to truly exploit the "Skin effect" (Which is a real effect... higher frequencies are more effected).

You just bust open your walls, and run the pipes in there... looks and sounds great...

First floors, with unfinished basements are easier to work with...
:D Is that the new monster pipe wires?:laughings:

Try going from light to heavy gauge yourself...
....before you put your foot in your mouth. :)

Been there, done that. Long time ago, before the best part of your punk-ass dribbled down you daddy's leg. One step up in gauge will not make a noticeable difference in sound quality in anything other than a sealed chamber- and then, only your DOG will be able to hear it. I will go along with Lt. Bob's and SSGlen's statement that a step up from 18-ga. (very thin) to 12-ga. (substantial) can make a difference, and going from instrument cable (very, very thin) to speaker illustrates the difference, but 18 to 16? You are only fooling yourself.

I got something to stick in your mouth right here...

Actually...I was the one who first mentioned about going from 18 to 12, not Bob or Glenn...and I never specifically brought up going 18 to 16, other than to say it would be a waste and you might as well go for something heavier if you are going to even bother.
What I also said was that going from light gauge to heavy gauge makes a difference, and most will agree.
I mean...if you can't hear it...that doesn't invalidate the fact that others can. :)

But if you wanna split hairs about 18/16...then pull one off your ass and split it...or just keep playing with whatever it is that you "got right there"..... ;)

Wooden knobs?!! I'll definately have to get some for my guitars and amps!

After years and years of seaching for the right amp/guitar/string gauge combo the secret to blissfully sweet tone is finally revealed!

Wooden knobs?!! I'll definately have to get some for my guitars and amps!

After years and years of seaching for the right amp/guitar/string gauge combo the secret to blissfully sweet tone is finally revealed!
you didn't know about the wooden knobs?

Shoot ..... all the cool kids have been hip to wooden knobs for ages!
:D

Back