Behringer MX3282A or MX9000?

Renascent

Hey guys
Obviously the MX9000 is the newer, better version.. but what are the real differences? I'm just building a small studio here in my basement, I will probably record bands once a month or so, if even that.. Lots of drum recording and individual instroment recording most likely. Should I save myself $500+ (Buying a used MX3282A) over a brand new MX9000?
Anything else in the 400-900dollar range ?( I know its broad, 400 being used and 900 being new.. id prefer used and save some money since im on a medium budget)
Thanks!
Scott

are you seriously going to need that many tracks at once? honestly.. even if you track every instrument and vocals at once it'll probably only be what, 14 tracks tops? and how often is that gonna happen?

I agree with trey. Also to see the differences between them, look at their features;

MX3282A
32 Channels Total
24 XLR/TRS Mono Channels
4 Stereo Channels (8 total)
8 sub-group outputs
8 Aux Sends
Four Stereo Aux Returns
Low Noise XLR preamps
3-band EQ
Insert channel on Mono Channels

MX9000
48 input channels (in re-mix mode)
24 XLR/TRS inputs
24 balanced tape ins and outs
4 Band EQ
8 subgroup outputs
Mic insert
Direct outputs
6 aux sends
6 stereo aux returns
Solo-in-place function
Pre-fader listen function
2 headphone mixes
24-channel meter bridge
Expander port for linking consoles

Also the MX9000 has the new "discrete" mic preamps. :rolleyes:

I mainly want a consol this large for the following reasons..
need extra headroom
looks more professional
built in preamps are nice, i can use them and upgrade to rack preamps as I go
the main thing i like about the 9000 over the 3282 is the 4band EQ.
The extra returns are nice, but I don't realistically think I'll be adding more than 4 hardware effects to anything I'm doing. If i ever had to, the additional after 4 would be software effects

I'm looking for used 9000s but nobody seems to be getting rid of them yet.. yarg!

I think if i can find a really nice deal on a 3282 I'll get started with that. I can't justify spending all the extra money for the differences.. and if I'm ever going to get "SERIOUS" i will probably be going with a much more higher end mixer

Thanks for the help gents!
Scott

Are you set on a Behringer? Because I believe Carvin has some good consoles in your price range. Honestly, the difference between the build quality and sound quality between the Berry and the Carvin is a difference worth considering. I bet APL would back me up on that. ;) :D

Just based on my experience with Behringe, I would stay away from them. YMMV.

Carvin's Website

Here's a 24 channel mixer from Carvin that could possibly meet your need for $800.

I'm not set on behringer, in fact I would never buy anything behringer exept I read nothing but great reviews on these 2 particular products.
I'll check out the carvin! Thanks :)
Scott

i figured you were going for the "look" once i realized you were the guy that was also mapping out the basement studio complete with couches

Yea, I'm just going for the look and only that. All the pro recording studios with 48+channel mixers are just going for the look too!
Trey, you can just go ahead and never reply to any of my threads ever again because both responses were neither helpful nor appriciated. thanks

sorry, but you give me the impression that you're wasting your money trying to fit the look of a pro studio by getting a big mixer with vu meters and lots of knobs. hell, you're going to have to spend at least 3 grand just to get enough mics to fill all those channels!

Apology accepted assuming its sincere.

I did forget to mention that I've started a collection of synths too.. Eventually I will pick up a Virus B or C and those alone can take up a bunch of channels I'm sure. I'd also rather have the room for more mic's/things that would take up channels on the mixer than to run out and have to change at some point down the road. I work a lot, and the only thing I blow money on is audio related stuff, so I'm not going to lose sleep over a few empty channels on a nice mixer

I'm really not going for the "looK", that's just a semi-silly-stupid reason I considered going to a bigger mixer.
I'm not even sure why I'm so fully explaining myself, but if you were able to build a studio in your basement with the understanding that you kept 2 couches and a TV down there, and you could do pretty much anything else you wanted without having to pay rent or the additional electrical costs, would you do it? Assuming yes, you understand why I'm that guy building a makeshift basement studio complete with couches
Scott

Scott, if 1k is what you can spend on mixing console and you do want 8-bus console - get mx9000. Don't expect super-lux - but it's good for what it is. If you are planing on recording a band you'll appreciate all and every available channel (especially if you have somewhat extensive synth section), btw.... you'll wish you have more from time to time, actually ;) And you'll be glad you have meter-bridge (it's there not for the look ;) ), 4-b eq, B-mix ...there's no waste there.
It would be a good idea thou to have some 'good return' policy at the store you are buying from.... so you have some time to play with it and see if you may discover some deffects (that's no so uncommon for the brand ;))...
Buying a used mx9000 or mx8000 (older version) from e-bay ...well, I'd say it's pretty risky, sure you may get a good luck and save few bucks, but it's like 50/50 chance or so with this specific 'item', imho
You can get better 8-bus...but it'll be a least twice the $$$$$

Look for a used Mackie 24 8bus on ebay, possibly with a meter bridge. Same spex as the mx9000 with better quailty and reputation.

Big Kenny said:

Soundcraft - yeah, maybe. with some questions...but that's sort of argeeable. If you can get one in great shape for under 1k - you may be very happy cat at the end :)
Carvin c2444 ??? hmmmmmmm :confused: Looks like a nice board but I would not pick this one for studio-recording application. well, anything is possible... ;) (I also never heard/touched one of these, so I personally have no idea)
Mackie sr32 is alright, it's a good board, also well overpriced one :) , and bone-to-bone comparing to mx9000 - nuh, it's no way a better board, imho.

and I don't even add to the picture "used/e-bay purchase"-factor.

Big Kenny, I have a lil' question for you: Have you actually ever worked (had any personal (practical) experience) with mx9000 (or mx8000) ? I suppose you have. So, then what exactly it is so 'no-good' about mx9000 from your experience? (besides the brand-name, of course ;))
/respects

Dr.Zee your post rang loud and clear for me. I've been looking for some other mixers too, and I'm not in any rush to buy anything at the moment. I have to say I wouldnt buy 90% of behringer stuff, but everyone of the reviews on musiciansfriend/zzounds ive seen have been positive for both behringers im interested in

I really think I'm going to seek out a 3282 in good shape. I'm sure it will be significantly better than the 1202VLZ im using now and not a whole lot more money either

Any input is realy good tho. thanks all
scott

Dr ZEE said:
Carvin c2444 ??? hmmmmmmm :confused: Looks like a nice board but I would not pick this one for studio-recording application. well, anything is possible... ;) (I also never heard/touched one of these, so I personally have no idea)

My friends band has one, and I have had the pleasure of doing there live sound. The Carvin board is really nice for live use, and they have used it for recording too. Not a great board for recording, The pre's are really colored, which is fine live, but you can really hear it in the studio. But still a good board none-the-less.

Dr ZEE said:
Big Kenny, I have a lil' question for you: Have you actually ever worked (had any personal (practical) experience) with mx9000 (or mx8000) ? I suppose you have. So, then what exactly it is so 'no-good' about mx9000 from your experience? (besides the brand-name, of course ;))
/respects

I haven't used the MX9000, but the MX8000 and MX3282A both had real issues with summing. I had the 3282 and sold it within a month (along with another MX, who's model number I cant remember, it was small, like 12 channels, that had the same problem). Maybe the MX9000 will be better. It's a shame really because, say what you will about Behringer (And lord knows I've said plenty of bad things about them myself), If you are lucky enough to get one that isn't buggy, you'll probably end up with a worthwhile purchase. They're QC is just so damn poor though.

Atterion said:
If you are lucky enough to get one that isn't buggy, you'll probably end up with a worthwhile purchase. They're QC is just so damn poor though.
This is it! :) That's why I've pointed out, that it would be a very good idea to buy mx9000 (if you do) from the store (or from on-line retailer) that have something like 30-day return policy.... so you can set-it up , test through and at least detect if any defffects in the board. Buying used behringer board - very very very risky thing to do, I'd say

btw, I have mx8000 for almost 10 years now... hah hah... I deal with 'issues' ..lol, the board serves me well that way. The thing for me was/is that I can't do what I do in home studio without 24/48chnl/8-bus and all the flexability that board like mx8000/9000 has, but paying 2k or more - that was not an option for me back then...and even more not an option now. well... you know :rolleyes:
/respects

It seems like there's some confusion about quality VS features. here's a few things to remember when making a substantial purchase such as this:

-Behringer has virtually no repair centers. if you have problems, your dealer will ship it back to behringer, and they might repair it in their own sweet time. sometimes behringer will just say that the unit is not able to be fixed.

-mackie, on the other hand, (or any of the other "decent" mixer manufacturers) has been building audio gear for about 30 years. their build quality is much higher and they have authorized repair depots in case something does break. equipment is repaired in a timely manner. the equipment will probably have an expected life of over 10 years.

-behringer gear, simply isn't built to last. sure, some peices will have long, happy lives, but this is the exception, not the rule. you might get 2- 4 years out of a behringer. you might get a long time. it's a coin toss really.

i'm not trying to sway you towards a particular product, but just remember the golden rule

"Buy cheap, buy twice"

PS, having a large in-expensive mixer of any brand doesn't look more professional. infact, it can do the opposite if your clients know anything about gear.

Back