Why do people hang their condenser microphones upside down?

DarrenVocal

Hello there people of HR, I would like to know if you guys set your LDCs upside down or upright. If you do/do not, give your reason why. I hope you guys participate

Cheers,
Darren

I don't.
I suspect many people do that because they think they should or because it looks cool.
I've heard plenty of people saying they do it with tube mics so the heat from the tube isn't rising towards the capsule.
I don't know how true that is.

A few. One is that it can help to avoid breath into the mic. Another is that the voice tends to project more easily with a singer holding head upward. Also make room for music stand, or stopping singer from hitting the mic stand. And plus, it looks cool that way. :)

Lol! Actually, I have yet to hang a condenser upside down. Most singers I record here, work best with the SM7b. That would just look silly upside down. :rolleyes:

+1 to all of the above. I hang my LDCs upside down about 50% of the time and the reasons (in no particular order) are:

-allow vocalist to see music/lyrics on a music stand

-encourage them to sing with their head upright to improve sound

-keep diaphragm above mouth to avoid really bad pop/breath problems

-it was on the stand that way from the previous job and I get lazy

^^^

Great answers guys! Keep it coming! I would really like to see the opinions of many people here.

Cheers,
Darren

Just to drive Jimmy69 and Steenamaroo crazy...

SM7B.jpg

Of course that would be right way up in Australia or New Zealand...

Lately I've just been keeping the studio the right way up and hanging the singer from the ceiling! :eek:

It's great fun when they ask for a glass of water.

Back