Vintage Mic Collection

EVT

Hi everyone,
I have 0 vintage mics :p , but I was interested in finding out which vintage mics you all own. I read a post about vintage mics on ebay, and needing to repair them (refurbish) etc.
But, I don't even know which ones would be ones to look out for. Which specific makes/models? For vocals.
I just recently picked up an ADK Hamburg on ebay. I read that it's modeled after vintage German mics... which German mic's are these that it's modeled after?
thanks for your help,
evt

I have a couple of vintage mics, nothing to write home about though. I have a reslo ribbon mic which is kinda cool. I have others like a AIWA DM17, which you could say has shit sound quality, or you could say adds interesting colouration, depending on your opinon.

If you want to play it safe and have money to burn, then you can always try to track down old radio broadcast mics like the RCA 77, but they generally set you back a 1000+.

In Harvey's excellent never ending mic tutorial, he talks about Sure SM 7's, which also sound like something to covet

I hope the ADK works out, if anything, it should have an interesting sound.

Well I do have a Shure 55 series, a 55C, the high impedence model. It is the forerunner of the so-called "Elvis mic" or small Unidyne. The Unidyne was the first single element, unidirectional dynamic mic, made between 1939 and 1946. Still used by the likes of Tom Petty, the Unidyne was used for almost every radio broadcast and live performance of consequence for about 25 years. Here's some historical perspective for you- "A date that will live in infamy....", "Happy birthday Mr. President", the Japanese surrender in Tokyo, Rudi Vallee, Frank Sinatra, Doris Day. After the SM7B, it's probably the best dynamic mic I own. They're really not that expensive either. This one was a gift.-Richie

Last edited:
What's vintage? I would guess > 30 years old?

I have a Shure 330, a Shure 333, and a Shure 300, all from the 1950s. Also an AKG D100, with the "sintered bronze" grille. All work fine.

Not really vintage, but a VERY vintage design, is my AEA R44. Great mic.

Hey thanks everyone,
Nice link Tim, looks interesting with a lot of good info, i'm going to look through it.
a lot of shure being mentioned...

:)
gonna keep reading ...

evt

Great site. And although the Unidyne was very popular both for broadcasting and live work, thr RCA 44BX seems to win the overall popularity contest right through the 40's.-Richie

EVT said:
Hi everyone,
I have 0 vintage mics :p , but I was interested in finding out which vintage mics you all own. I read a post about vintage mics on ebay, and needing to repair them (refurbish) etc.
But, I don't even know which ones would be ones to look out for. Which specific makes/models? For vocals.
I just recently picked up an ADK Hamburg on ebay. I read that it's modeled after vintage German mics... which German mic's are these that it's modeled after?
thanks for your help,
evt

ALL my mics will be vintage. I chose the lazy man's approach. I bought them and now all I have to do is sit back, watch T.V. , drink beer and wait. No work involved at all. In about 30 years. *viola* Vintage mics!!!!

You can do it too. You already have the mics, now just sit back and relax. Let the "vintage" thing happen!!

Like watching paint dry or grass grow!!!

Back