Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Utter novice - Wider frequency response needed for super low bass?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Utter novice - Wider frequency response needed for super low bass?

    Sign in to disable this ad
    I am a bass singer who's looking to get into voice acting and possibly starting an a cappella group. I was looking at microphones and saw that for most high-quality voice mics, the lowest frequency response is usually 40hz, or just below a piano E1, which is the lowest note of a string double bass.

    However, I employ the same technique that singers like Tim Foust use to get lower than an E1 (the strongest example is the D1 he sings in Home Free's cover of Honey I'm Good by Andy Grammer on Youtube, a few seconds into the bass line at 2:30).

    So my question is, do I need to find a mic with a lower frequency response than 40hz in order to pick up notes like this, or will the natural overtones create a sound that is just as deep?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    348
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by molassascookie View Post
    I am a bass singer who's looking to get into voice acting and possibly starting an a cappella group. I was looking at microphones and saw that for most high-quality voice mics, the lowest frequency response is usually 40hz, or just below a piano E1, which is the lowest note of a string double bass.

    However, I employ the same technique that singers like Tim Foust use to get lower than an E1 (the strongest example is the D1 he sings in Home Free's cover of Honey I'm Good by Andy Grammer on Youtube, a few seconds into the bass line at 2:30).

    So my question is, do I need to find a mic with a lower frequency response than 40hz in order to pick up notes like this, or will the natural overtones create a sound that is just as deep?
    dunno
    you will get overtones but whether it will sound bassy enough is tbd
    or more accurately you will get 3 of the four voice resonance peaks okay just not the fundamental bass
    unless you overload the mike you should not get harmonics being created

    look at mike freq responses
    you might find an affordable one that you could eq to do the job

    or you could use one with proximity effect and get as close as possible
    i used a cheap pc crystal? mike that was virtually in my mouth to get good low sounding voice

    how does tim foust do it? vocal fry or some other method ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mr average View Post
    dunno
    you will get overtones but whether it will sound bassy enough is tbd
    or more accurately you will get 3 of the four voice resonance peaks okay just not the fundamental bass
    unless you overload the mike you should not get harmonics being created

    look at mike freq responses
    you might find an affordable one that you could eq to do the job

    or you could use one with proximity effect and get as close as possible
    i used a cheap pc crystal? mike that was virtually in my mouth to get good low sounding voice

    how does tim foust do it? vocal fry or some other method ?
    Tim Foust uses what is called "firebreathing" which is basically just growling with only the false vocal folds. It sounds like somebody's trying to summon a demon normally, but with a microphone and a subwoofer it shakes stadiums.

    I have used basic mics before, and yeah you always have to eat the thing to get good bass to come out of it, but I have only ever heard air as a response to the lowest notes, telling me that the frequency response wasn't low enough. Apparently 40hz is actually pretty good for a normal mic and I'm only finding ones that are over $250 that go down lower, most of which go down to 20hz, which is the lower limit of human hearing

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    HOUSTON, TEXAS
    Posts
    799
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 136 Times in 121 Posts
    Rep Power
    742369
    Even the average kick drum mic will start to roll off at around 40hz but that just means it wont be as loud as the higher frequencies-not that the lower ones are disappearing or not being picked up. In order to get that much low bass reproduced its going to take up so much sonic space that you would have to pull the kick and bass into the background anyway. I would just get an ATM250 and eq to taste. I can tell you from experience that almost all systems aren't going to reproduce E1 anyway. You need a pretty big driver(10" at least IMHO) and a lot of power. Use the harmonics and just a bit of the sub and you'll probably get better results
    Win 7 Ult Dell i7 4core 6700ghz 32 GB, 1,2x2, 4 Tb Barracuda HD's running Pro tools 2018 through Allen&Heath Qu-32

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    348
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by molassascookie View Post
    Tim Foust uses what is called "firebreathing" which is basically just growling with only the false vocal folds. It sounds like somebody's trying to summon a demon normally, but with a microphone and a subwoofer it shakes stadiums.

    I have used basic mics before, and yeah you always have to eat the thing to get good bass to come out of it, but I have only ever heard air as a response to the lowest notes, telling me that the frequency response wasn't low enough. Apparently 40hz is actually pretty good for a normal mic and I'm only finding ones that are over $250 that go down lower, most of which go down to 20hz, which is the lower limit of human hearing

    real bass in a mike will be expensive for sure

    do check the actual curves as many advertise wide ranges of mikes with way too much db deviation to sucker buyers into thinking they are better

    that said you might find a specialised type mike that can go lower but lacks the high end.
    although most are designed for more average people not the few extremes on the bass

    i listened to faust and his group sing a song on utoob but my pc speakers could not hear him do any bass
    so you might want to reconsider how important this is if you are just going to make cds or mp3s
    of course if you are going live then you would want to be able to have the sound system play that low

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West of Cowtown, Texas
    Posts
    401
    Thanks
    90
    Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    1739923
    How about a D112? I don't think it would be very useful as a VO mic though. Scrub through to 03:55, if this isn't your kind of music.
    youtube.com/watch?v=BrnuSuE-TLc
    I've never run a freq meter on the bass singers part. But he hits a some notes, in his bass riffs, that I can only do in the morning, before coffee.

    Then there is always J.D. Sumner, of the Stamps (Elvis), who used a EV RE-20 for his G0-A4 voice.
    youtube.com/watch?v=EgcSbZjOgF8
    Dale
    Last edited by DaleVO; 03-27-2019 at 19:16. Reason: Hate the huge thumbnails of the videos

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Rep Power
    2150
    Have you tried plugging your mic into a channel set and altering your voice that way? You can certainly add voice that way.

    Not cheap though. A 286's will knock you back over 150. Just an idea.
    Last edited by Orson; 03-29-2019 at 12:32.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    ArizonaMaybe
    Age
    69
    Posts
    9,517
    Thanks
    207
    Thanked 164 Times in 152 Posts
    Rep Power
    9581210
    The only thing of 'interest -or useful down that low will be overtones.
    Placebo stomps 96k ....... Recent projects
    Ray Catfish Copeland 'Got Love Jim Goodman 'Southern Steel

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    348
    Thanks
    28
    Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mixsit View Post
    The only thing of 'interest -or useful down that low will be overtones.
    mikes can handle his overtones
    what he wants is a mike to capture the fundamental too

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I think you just need to try some because they don’t just stop at X Hertz they start to tail off and with eq I suspect there isn’t a problem

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bass Frequency response adjustments
    By Bruthish in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-14-2018, 17:30
  2. Bass vs speaker's low frequency response limits
    By Pykon in forum Mixing Techniques
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2009, 03:29
  3. MXL V67 Frequency Response
    By countrylac in forum Microphones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2005, 17:33
  4. Frequency Response Q
    By D. Parting in forum Microphones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 18:28
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2001, 14:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •