Tube mics

Consider with the subminis that they are all NOS, US-made (except for the Soviet varieties), most are JAN. So if they were selected in the first place (one should hope), there is no need to swap them.

...good point, but tube-swapping is a "fun" and easy modification that can yield positive results...

Also, electret is a newer technology than externally-biased capsules (though both are older than I am), not sure why that qualifies for "dinosaur" in relation.

...newer, yes...better, maybe not (not from what I've experienced for vocal tracking)...generally implemented for cost purposes, more than quality preferences...as for the 'dinosaur' reference, it's pertaining to the extinct (discontinued) status of the Solid Tube...

...and thank you for your knowlegeable and relevent response to my post!...

Last edited:
...first, I recommended 6 mics from 4 different manufacturers, none of whom I am employed by...and if you're referring to "your own product" as a mic I purchased and recommend because it's an excellent value, you'd be correct...other than that, I have no stake in Stellar Sound, none...

...judging by my message-box full of "thank you's" from those who took my recommendation, and not a single dissatisfied buyer, Jim might have done well to take the recommendation, rather than buy that 'electret-dinosaur' he's cooing about...simply searching available info on the web about these products will provide support of my recommendations...visit the most extensive microphone database/website Recordinghacks.com for further info, shootouts, etc, if you chose not to believe my product choices...visit the many other Pro-Audio forums where these products are openly discussed and demo'ed...for example:

The Apex 460 / C12 Mod | recording hacks
Stellar CM4 CM6 Review | recording hacks
http://www.aamicrophones.com/pdfs/CM47.pdf
Avant Electronics Avantone CV-12 review | EM Author Myles Boisen Reviews Avant Electronics Avantone CV-12 Microphone
Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Nathan Chapman & Justin Niebank | Taylor Swift's Speak Now

...if you chose to ignore my recommendations and listen only to those with more limited gear exposure, so be it...the wheels of progress will role on without you...my response to Jim's post was in self-defense of his accusations...my intention in posting on this thread was to offer some useful information to the OP, and anyone else who might be unaware of these smaller but quality brand options...I've been a productive contributer to this site for almost 7 years, and will continue, until such time as the moderators see fault with my advice/recommendations...my advice to Jim, "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"...nuff said...enjoy your thread...

Very touchy indeed. :eatpopcorn:

Oooooooo!!!!

:eatpopcorn:

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!

:eatpopcorn:

Anyhow, I don't own either, but I've used a Sputnik and an Avantone cv-12 before, and they both were pretty awesome! Around your (the OP) budget of $500 too! :)

I'm with Jim-Lad - the Solidtube is huge value for money mic, i'ts not about reading modders review its about using and comparing with your ears not a component list. I own a solidtube and have had happy results. I'm not sure about the "not an LDC" cos it sure looks like one to me.

generally implemented for cost purposes

I don't think the evidence supports that. Shure's old KSM27 was less expensive that the KSM32, which was less expensive than the KSM44. The electret was in the middle, and plenty of people like it for vocals, especially chicks. That is chick vocals. Chick engineers, I dunno.

AT makes electrets in the 20, 30, and 40 series, several of which (4041, 3032 for example) are quite well regarded in their class. The electret 3035 (and I hope 2035 is the same) was better than any <$200 Chinese externally-biased condenser I've heard. The 3060 used the same (large diaphragm) capsule. They also have externally biased capsules in all three series. Go figure.

I don't think DPA builds (down) to a price point . . .

Moral of the story is that electret doesn't have a sound of its own; it's all down to the implementation of the capsule construction and following circuitry.

The only downside I can think of is you can't manipulate polar pattern by varying polarization voltage with an electret, since of course you have a fixed charge. So instead you do it electrically in the circuit after the FET(s). Practically, you do seem to only seem multipattern LDCs implemented as externally biased--although Shure did an electret dual-pattern SDC, the beloved KSM141--which was inspired by an externally-biased Schoeps capsule. That was implemented acoustically rather than electronically though.

I don't own one, but Dave Thomas (aamicrophones) are in your price range and he's a really nice guy to talk to. You could do a Royer mod yourself on a cheap MXL mic. What's your comfort zone for DIY?

I still really enjoy my Studio Projects T-3 with a GE (7032?) tube swap.
Makes vocals really bigger than life...which is a problem in dense mixes...but excellent on sparser acoustic mixes.
Sounds great on acoustic guitar too.

The only downside I can think of is you can't manipulate polar pattern by varying polarization voltage with an electret, since of course you have a fixed charge. So instead you do it electrically in the circuit after the FET(s). Practically, you do seem to only seem multipattern LDCs implemented as externally biased--although Shure did an electret dual-pattern SDC, the beloved KSM141--which was inspired by an externally-biased Schoeps capsule. That was implemented acoustically rather than electronically though.

So true! I am totally in love with my KSM141's.

thanks everybody.
didn<t want to start any drama for sure though...
well I am currently setting my mind on the t-3 by studio projects.
I<ve heard plentiful of good things about it.
What I want to know is if somebody as something BAD to say about that mic. is there somebody not biased here that would give me a reason NOT to buy this mic^

thanks everybody.
didn<t want to start any drama for sure though...
well I am currently setting my mind on the t-3 by studio projects.
I<ve heard plentiful of good things about it.
What I want to know is if somebody as something BAD to say about that mic. is there somebody not biased here that would give me a reason NOT to buy this mic^

Well it's just me but I would choose the Avantone CV-12 / then the Apex 460 over the studio projects t3 ;)

...just thought I'd pass along these options, as they just popped up...the eBay seller is clearly selling these mics at a very low retail price, as these mics wholesale for only about $30-40 less than he's asking (sans shipping fees)...I can recommend these, as I own one of them and I'm very familiar with the manufacturer (iSK/Shengke/TongXin) and the quality of their product...this same manufacturer makes product for KEL, AKG, Cascade, and many other reputable brands...these are very good quality entry-level tube mics, and the quality is definitively better than the stock Apex 460 or Nady 1050 (no cathode-follower secondary circuit, just a simple clean plate-follower)...these un-branded mics have higher grade WIMA caps, large 34mm capsules, dual bobbin transformers and are well built with the intended retail price to be twice ($300-400) what they are selling for here:

Pro Multi-Pattern Tube Valve Microphoen Condenser Studio Recording Brand #0407 | eBay
Multi-Pattern Classic Tube Valve Microphoen Set Condenser Studio Recording #0403 | eBay
Multi-Pattern Classic Tube Valve Microphoen Set Condenser Studio Recording #0402 | eBay

...these same mics are being sold under the iSK brand at considerably higher prices:
iSK TM-78 Tube Microphone
iSK TM-78 Multi-function Recording Tube Microphone Mic | eBay

...manufacturer info here:
Products-Ningbo Tongxin Electronic Factory

...here are some pics of the one I own (same or similar to #0407 above)...

Attachments

• T5000circuitpic.jpg
    T5000circuitpic.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 123
  • T5000open.jpg
    T5000open.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 122
  • T5000mount.jpg
    T5000mount.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 122
  • T5000tube.jpg
    T5000tube.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 119
  • K67 34mm 3-micron.jpg
    K67 34mm 3-micron.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 179
  • T5000case.jpg
    T5000case.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Thread hijack: Do you have a schematic? That is a pretty sweet deal. I'm assuming that's a 12AX7? -- Never mind, google'd this and found out it is a 12AT7. Mmmh. Nice. I saw your "pre-modded" thread at GS just now....I've bought a few things from this seller too. Good guy.

That is a pretty sweet deal. I'm assuming that's a 12AX7? -- Never mind, google'd this and found out it is a 12AT7. Mmmh. Nice. I saw your "pre-modded" thread at GS just now....I've bought a few things from this seller too. Good guy.

...yes, these are very nice mics, even at twice the price...I recently shot out some of my mics at a pro-engineer friend's studio and he has a beautiful Gefell CMV563 (with an original M7 capsule) that was restored by Bill Bradley...after reviewing the results of the comparison, he commented on how similar my mic (same one pictured above) sounded to his vintage (and much more expensive!) Gefell...and another of the mics I brought, a new $1000+ boutique model (I'd rather not mention the brand) was the biggest disappointment...that one went back to the manufacturer...

...for the mic pictured above, I swapped out the stock 12AT7 tube for a NOS GE 6201 (12AT7WA) military grade tube after trying a GE 5-Star 6072...the 6201 sounds wonderful in that mic...very mid-forward, with none of the typical 'hashy' top-end common to some of the cheap Chinese tube mics...a great deal, no doubt!...

Back