Studio Projects B1 vs C1

guitarguy101

I've been on this forum for a little over a month, and it seems like the Studio Projects mics are quite popular. I wanted to upgrade my vocal mics (my Sterling Audio LDC isn't cutting it for me.) I wanted to ask you guys, is the Studio Projects C1 worth the $200 difference between the B1, or are they roughly the same? I could get either, it would just mean saving up for longer...and if not those mics, which vocal LDC would be my best bet in that price range ($150-$300)?

Why do you feel you need a LCD?

My two cents is to be patient and look for a much better used mic. Scout other professional forums and you're likely to find one.

Yeah, I've got a couple of the B1's that I'm using as overheads for my drums and like em fine there. Also tried one on acoustic guitar and it did pretty good.
I tried one of em as a vocal mic and it was ok but that was about it.

If you don't like the Sterling anymore, it might be time for investing in good equipment? Something better then Studio Projects mics, which are, quote "fine" on drums and "pretty good" on guitar, that's not overly enthousiastic, right?

What kind of budget do you have? And have you, as mentioned, considered a used mic?

I'd say that I would "like" I mic for $300, but I could possibly spring for more if you guys say "Oh my god, mic ASDF is fantastic!"

If you don't like the Sterling anymore, it might be time for investing in good equipment? Something better then Studio Projects mics, which are, quote "fine" on drums and "pretty good" on guitar, that's not overly enthousiastic, right?

Truth !

I'd say that I would "like" I mic for $300, but I could possibly spring for more if you guys say "Oh my god, mic ASDF is fantastic!"

That's not too bad a budget.

Something you could consider is that for that money you can buy a top of the line dynamic mic like a Electro Voice RE20, Shure SM7 (though you need a very good preamp for that), Sennheiser MD 441.

If you go used and you could strech your budget a little there's quite some Condensers you could look out for, depending on how nice a deal you can get.

Check the sticky on mic options at the top of this Microphone forum, read it well, lot's of info there. Whenever it says Neumann TLM 103, ignore it and read TLM 102.

Maybe Moresound has some suggestions?

I tend to agree that you're not going to hear a huge difference between the Sterling and the SP mics. You might want to consider something a bit more radically different. Some suggestions, in no particular order, are the CAD M9, or a long-ribbon ribbon mic like the Nady RSM-2 (and probably a better preamp to support it).

Back