shure sm7+acoustic guitar vs electro acoustic

mr.rudy

Hi. I wanna have some natural acoustic sound in my recordings and I was wondering how to obtain it. Will I get better results with an electro acoustic guitar up to aboot 380$ plugged directly to my DMP3 or with a cheaper (up to aboot 230$) acoustic guitar picked up by a Shure SM7 mic?

Not sure whether this is the right section to post it :/

I think you will be happier with the sm57 method. The only reason I would ever buy an electro acoustic is for performing live. (this is not always how I've felt, but now I have learned!)

Definitely the "real" acoustic is a better sound source (speaking generally - it's conceivable that a particular electro-acoustic could sound better than a particular acoustic), and I wouldn't bother with the electro-acoustic unless, yes, you have some live gigs to do. Microphones are the way to go for recording.

I like the SM7 for a lot of things, but generally not acoustic guitar - but it's worth trying -- it may work well with the particular guitar you wind up getting. If not, look into getting/borrowing a condenser mic - most of us like "small diaphragm" condensers for acoustic, but opinions vary.

But the most important thing is probably to get the best sounding guitar you can afford -- if you have a chance to try some out, get help so that you can hear the guitars when standing back about 8-10 feet.

Agree with above. Direct recording with acoustics is very sterile. You can get away with it if it is a rhythm track sitting in the back of the mix, but if your primary instrument is acoustic guitar, then you want a nice, full & accurate acoustic tone in the front - micing is the only way to go.

Back