Rode NT5

Will25

I've heard they're good for acoustics...at the moment I've got a AKG C1000 so surely a matched pair of NT5s will be a big difference? I can get a pair for £215 + £10 postage which are apparently basically new. Are Rode mic's usually genuines from ebay? I know there's a few fakes of some brands kicking about....cheers

Yehp, they're great little mics, especially at the price.

Perfect for acoustics and drum overheads amongst other things.
I've never heard of fake rodes but stranger things have happened.

Google it if you're worried. :)

They are good/great if that is the maximum of your budget.

Don't think that there has been fakes of these microphones ----- yet!

Well....two of them were mine. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll get them, need to start recording drums properly!

Tell me about your acoustic guitar....

I had Rode NT5s and MXL603s which are at the same relative price point and I preferred the 603s. I ended up selling the NT5s. They were darker, and with an high-end dreadnaught with a really rich sound, I found the 603s were easier to work with...

On the other hand, I can imagine a different sounding acoustic working better with the NT5s.

So what you're recording comes into it as well.

I bought a pair of NT5s. I've found them to be a little harsh and brittle sounding, especially for drum overheads. They can sound really good, if you take the time to get them placed just right. I find that they do better, and they're more controllable, with low SPL applications. I've gone back to using AT4041's for overheads.

I'd recommend the omni heads for acoustic recordings. I use it all the time for mono acoustics.

The cardioid heads are good but a litte harsh and dark. You can EQ out some of the high end peak (7k) and I like the darkness of them.

For drum overheads they work but I prefer something else.

Anything'll be better than the dreaded C1000....the most expensive doorstop AKG have ever produced.

I'm another who finds the NT5 just a bit over-bright in the upper ranges (polite way of saying harsh) but that's just a subjective opinion. They're certainly no where near as harsh as the C1000.

The other mic in a similar price range I'd look at is the SE1A (good on both acoustic guitar and drum overheads) but that price isn't bad at all for the NT5.

Back