polysterine capacitors

Adobian

Does anyone know if Radioshack capacitors are considered polysterine capacitors ? Someone here on the forum modded his microphone with polysterine capacitors and I wonder where I could get them . Thanks,

Adobian said:
Does anyone know if Radioshack capacitors are considered polysterine capacitors ? Someone here on the forum modded his microphone with polysterine capacitors and I wonder where I could get them . Thanks,

RS has some polyester film caps as well as electrolytic, tantalum, and ceramic caps. Be sure to buy the right kind (and value).

Here is one example:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=272-1069#

Polystyrene caps are a bit harder to find. You'll probably have to mail-order them.

Yeah, its the coupling capacitor between the capsule and the head amp. Ceramics and tants sound terrible there. The poystyrene have almost the same linearity as a paper in oil cap. That helps remove some of the sizzle.

I think that's what he's after. I could be wrong.

Not for the coupling capacitor at the leads of the head amp, although you could probably use a polypropolene and it would sound good. Ploystyrene are much better. ANYTHING is better than ceramic or tantalium. They suffer from bad hysteresis. That contributes to the shrill high end in budget mics.

I actually did audition polystyrene, polypropylene, and Mylar caps in a homemade mic once, and the polystyrenes were significanty cleaner sounding than the others. These were the generic Mouser style polystyrenes, not the $$$ brand-name audiophile ones, which sometimes don't sound that hot.

PhilGood said:
ANYTHING is better than ceramic or tantalium. They suffer from bad hysteresis. That contributes to the shrill high end in budget mics.

I tried the polystyrene cap mod on my MXL 991 mic and preferred the sound of the ceramic cap so I am leaving it as is.

BTW the ceramic cap in the MXL 991 does not look like the common ceramic disk. Is this maybe the newer COG/NPO ceramic type which I believe is multi-layer and has a much more linear frequency response and stability?

Anyone care to comment on this?

Back