Opinion on Joe Meek Mic & Pre-Amp?

Knopfler Fan

Trying to achieve that Mark Knopfler sound, I asked a reliable source what mics were used in Knopfler's latest CD. I was told that a vintage tube mic-- a Telefunken and / or a SKG c12 was used. Given that there is no way I could afford these vintage mics, another option was suggested by the reliable source:

Mic: Joe Meek JM47
Pre-amp: Joe Meek VC1

Can someone please tell me your opinion on these two products and also the cost.

Thanks in advance.

KF

Re: Re: Opinion on Joe Meek Mic & Pre-Amp?

chessrock said:
Garbage.

Good.

JM47 is around $200, the VC1Q about $500-600.

Interesting comment on the JM47. The JM47 is a clone of the Marshall 2003. A few switch differences, but same body, capsule, electronics, and transformer. It was made in the same factory until Marshall hired the engineers and workers from Fielo to start their own factory in Shanghai. Food for thought...:)

Marshall 2003

Joemeek JM47

Joemeek & Mark Knopfler

Hi
you might be interested that Mark has been using a specific "guitar" unit produced by Joemeek. I think it is called the Fat head. But not sure

Actually the Joemmek website has pictures of him using it. see www.joemeek.net.

Joemeek have also stopped producing their units and have changed their name to ProMeek.

One of their dealers is at www.gargantuansound.com. They told me of this.

Cheers

Re: Joemeek & Mark Knopfler

bullringBrummie said:
Hi
you might be interested that Mark has been using a specific "guitar" unit produced by Joemeek. I think it is called the Fat head. But not sure

Actually the Joemmek website has pictures of him using it. see www.joemeek.net.

Joemeek have also stopped producing their units and have changed their name to ProMeek.

One of their dealers is at www.gargantuansound.com. They told me of this.

Cheers

Actually they went out of business, screwed everyone out of the money they owed, and since the UK allows LLC's to screw everyone and start over, that is exactly what they did.

In either case Promeek has a ton of legal problems because we acquired Joemeek. As such, Promeek is palming or passing off product off the merits of Joemeek, which were mostly created by me, including all the funds to build them. So now we own Joemeek and are re-designing the units to fix all the problems with the same designs in Promeek.

Either way, it is not a name change, it is a scam and their legal problems are just beginning. Be careful of what you buy, as they will end up out of business again within 6 to 12 months...Then who will service them. You can be sure it will not be Joemeek.

A couple of the new Joemeek models will be out in 60 days. I would suggest you wait for the real deal, and not an imitation. :D

alanhyatt said:
Actually they went out of business...

Who went out of business? Joe Meek?

In either case Promeek has a ton of legal problems because we acquired Joemeek.

So who the hell are Promeek?

So now we own Joemeek and are re-designing the units to fix all the problems with the same designs in Promeek.

Huh? Promeek is using old Joe Meek designs? Or Joe Meek is adopting new Pro Meek designs?

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I understand what's going on.

How about "Alan Meek" for the new name?
Then again Alan, I can't imagine you ever being meek..

Of course the big question is whether it'll keep the same GREEN color?

Chris

Re: Re: Re: Opinion on Joe Meek Mic & Pre-Amp?

alanhyatt said:
Interesting comment on the JM47. The JM47 is a clone of the Marshall 2003. A few switch differences, but same body, capsule, electronics, and transformer.

That's particularly interesting when you consider the mxl2003 doesn't even have a trasformer. :D Or that the 2003 is 6 micron, and the JM is 3 micron, and the list goes on.

This is a little more like it:

JM47

Behringer B1

Come on. At least try and make bashing you somewhat of a challenge. :D The JM47 is a joke, and the 2003 at least usable.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinion on Joe Meek Mic & Pre-Amp?

chessrock said:
That's particularly interesting when you consider the mxl2003 doesn't even have a trasformer. The JM47 is a joke, and the 2003 at least usable.

Typo on my part, I meant the 2001...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinion on Joe Meek Mic & Pre-Amp?

alanhyatt said:
Typo on my part, I meant the 2001...

Still, 2001=6 micron and JM47=3 micron. But they're both basically crap, so I guess you're at least close on this one.

jslator said:
Who went out of business? Joe Meek? So who the hell are Promeek?
Huh? Promeek is using old Joe Meek designs? Or Joe Meek is adopting new Pro Meek designs?

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I understand what's going on.

Ok, Fletcher ElectroAcoustics went out of business. They were the builders of the Joemeek line in the UK. They took many of my ideas and my money and built products. This is how Joemeek got to be Joemeek. So now, Fletcher ElectroAcoustics is out of business and have nothing to do with Joemeek anymore.

Promeek is the very same people that built Joemeek. They, FLetcherElectroAcoustics screwed the employess out of benefits and back pay, ran with the cash and started Promeek. You see in the UK a LLC corp is like getting a Presidential Pardon... The problem is, I own the Joemeek Trademark, so Promeek is in some big legal trouble right now, and will get shut down.

All Promeek has done is changed the graphics a bit as well as the model names. They are trying to sell their products off the name of Joemeek. Even their new corporate name is JMUK. They are using Joemeek to launch Promeek. Kind of like Rupert Neve coming out with products called Nupert Neve. Doesen't make much sense other than to capture an association which is illegal by the way since I own the Trademark.

This is just a way for them, Fletcher ElectroAcoustics to be back in business without paying off their employees, or the Revenue Department and all the vendors they owe. This way, they are back and just say, oh...we changed our name, but that is not the case.

They will be in some trouble shortly, so hopefully not too many people will get caught with purchasing the products as we will shut them down... I hope this explains it.

In the meantime, we are working very hard on the new designs. Joemeek will be better than it ever was....

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinion on Joe Meek Mic & Pre-Amp?

chessrock said:
Still, 2001=6 micron and JM47=3 micron. But they're both basically crap, so I guess you're at least close on this one.

Same body, same electronics, same transformer. Joemeek was a bit brighter is all, but they were the same... A bit more than close. :D

Does not matter if they were crap or not. Its just interesting how so many of the same mics come out of the same place with little or no changes.....

So Alan, basically you are saying : "don't buy Promeek stuff, wait 'till we have the "original" Joemeek stuff back on track"
is that correct?
I saw Promeek adapted the Current Sense pre's, now I'm still hoping that if YOU redesign the Joemeek VC1Q channelstrip, if you could provide it with the following:

Mic pre:
-70dB of gain
-switch to choose mic, line or instrument.
-phantom power switch
-phase inversion switch
-pad switch
-high pass switch (possibly with a variable or selectable frequency. Say 75 and 150 Hz. )
-a transformer balanced input (IRON, like in the VC1Q, not the VC1Qcs)

EQ:
low band shelving at 100Hz
mid band sweepable between 80Hz and 16kHz
high band shelving at 12kHz (or 10kHz)

COMP:
same opto-compressor with variable ratio, attack and release times...

De-esser/enhancer:
same with wider de-essing range

and most importantly: an output gain control WITH SOFT CLIP LIMITER. Something like that Type IV-stuff from dbx.

paint it green, make it sturdy as hell, give it a cool VU-meter, sell it for around $500-600 and I'm your guy... ;)

Speeddemon,

I am not saying don't buy Promeek. I am saying understand what is going on, and make your own decision. There will be no service provided by us for Promeek, and we will stop any dealer or distributor from bringing in Promeek into North America.

So if you buy Promeek, you send it to the UK for service. Our Trademark on Joemeek will stop Promeek from coming here. People can tranship from other countries to end users, but again, no service or support.

As soon as our Trademark gets accepted in the EU, we will stop them there as well. As for new product, you can bet that we are doing it the way it should be done. I like the transformer outputs like it used to be, so that is a given, and better EQ will be added.

It goes way beyond that as well, but it will all start happening in 90 days or so.

Well, it looks like my original thread digressed somewhat. In any case, I think the consenus is that there are better options than the JM47.

How's the APEX450?

By the way, if I were to purchase any JoeMeek products, my home studio would look quite colorful-- red and green. I have a Fostex MR-8 (bright red):D

KF

Yo Alan. One question. Should I expect service and parts availability for the Joemeek product I already own (twinQcs) to continue through PMI? I have to say, I like this preamp.-Richie

Sounds like ProMeek is pulling a Behringer here. Oh and by the way Alan dont change your last name to Meek, you will go mental and kill your landlord.:D

Richard Monroe said:
Yo Alan. One question. Should I expect service and parts availability for the Joemeek product I already own (twinQcs) to continue through PMI? I have to say, I like this preamp.-Richie

Yes you can expect that...

Back