My Condenser MIC volume is so low, please help!

Markel

Hello everyone, well I bought a Rode NT1-a Condenser Mic and a Presonus Audiobox 22vsl Interface.
The mic is so low when the Mic Gain Level is on 12'oclock, is that normal? I have to put it on 3'oclock before I can hear myself, but then I can't make high tones, my voice will scratch. Please help!
Ofc I have 48Phantom Power ON, so that's not the problem. In the bottom right corner in the sound settings, it's on 100 volume. I have no idea what's wrong. Please help!
Thanks

Mark.

Hi Markel,
'Low volume' doesn't really mean anything without numbers.
Your monitors could just be turned down. :)

What software are you recording into and what do the meters say?

It's pretty normal for people to think their signal is really weak, when really they're pretty much doing it right.

First of all thanks for quick response!
I'm using Audacity as recording software, and the meters is nearly half, when the Knob is on 12'oclock.

No problem. :)
I don't really know audacity but it's the numbers that are important.

FWIW, when I track in ProTools my meters probably peak at about -12 to -6.
This will sound very quiet in comparison to commercial music, for example, but it's roughly where you want to be for raw recording.

If you want a very loud voice recording for some reason, like podcasting or radio, you'll likely want to automate out the volume level and then maybe compress to let you bring up the volume after recording.

Well I'm an amateur rapper, so I use it to record my songs.
The numbers on my meter when I record is around -30 to -27.

Any audacity users in the house?
If that's the recorded peak level, it's a bit low. Maybe aim for about -10 ish?

If you don't have a pop filter, get a hold of one to reduce plosives.

When I record at 3'oclock it will scratch if I make a high tone/voice, what I mean is that my voice will sound like a robot, or like a radio where you try to find a signal, if you know what I mean.

Exactly, yes the red dot is blinking when the gain is up to 3'o clock. So that must mean that my voice will scratch right?

It keeps scratching:/ I also tried 1o'clock but that is just low too..

I guess scratching is clipping/peaking.
That's when your recording attempts to exceed 0 and the converters don't know what to do with that, so they clip the incoming wav.

If you're using a pop filter, singing with good technique, and have the gain set so that you are a handful of db below clipping, it's shouldn't be too low, unless something like arcaxis suggests is going on.

It might sound low compared to commercial material, but that's how it goes.
You volume automate, compress, limit etc to achieve that kind of volume.

Do you think you can post a clip. Can you, in recording, talk/rap/sing at 12 o clock, 1 o clock, 2 o clock, and 3 o clock?

You can do this all in the clip and then you can post an mp3 for us to download.

Sorry for replying a bit late well.. here's a picture of my Audiobox Software and the recordings in Audacity, the 3o'clock which is the last, just fade out, if you can see what I mean, that's the problem. Then there's 4 quick recordings of 12, 1, 2, 3 o'clock, of my new song. If I put a "Beat" in while I record, it's kinda hard to hear my voice. Hope this helps:)

Download to my Audio File:
Try Out.wav

Pictures:
Udklip2.PNGUdklip.PNG

There's adequate volume there. Your beat is just too loud.

It sounds like you just went a touch too far on the last clip, so aim for a happy medium between 3+4.

So there's nothing wrong? I just have to aim for a happy medium, as you said, and turn my beat volume down?

So there's nothing wrong? I just have to aim for a happy medium, as you said, and turn my beat volume down?

Yes, after you turned your beat down and vocals up AFTER you record it (through compression or automation), you can turn the master up through mastering.

Since you're turning the beat down, you will logically find that your tracks are quieter than the songs of the pros. This is because their songs are mastered, which is a different process from mixing the song.

Oh and btw this is a Picture of my last song, I just think the recordings should be like that. I recorded it with my old cheap "USB" Microphone.
Maybe this can help.

And here's a link to my last song, It's on Danish, but you'll get the point.
Markel - Håb' HD - YouTube

Udklip.PNG

Yeah man. Just bring the beat down and work from there.
Don't worry about how quiet your track is for now : that's not really what mixing's about.

Back