e609, e906, m201? Snare, Guitar?

Which mic for Electric Guitar and Snare?

• m201

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • e609

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • e906

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • md421

• md441

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • other

• Total voters
I am an i5 fan myself. I use it on snare and cabs all the time with quite excellent results. I also have 57s and MD421s. The MD421 I often use on cabs and toms as it is butter, but I have never been nuts about it on snare. The 57s never get touched anymore. So the i5 is my swiss army knife pick in this realm. I find it has more low end chest "thump" on snare and rim shots than a 57 and a nicer top end for more crack and definition. And for guitar, those same characteristics are quite nice... a tad scooped without being overboard, nice bass presence, a fuller high end minus the honk. I have tracked with my friend's e609 on occasion and I find it half way between the 57 and i5 of the top end (not as peaky/honky as a 57, but not quite as present as the i5) and more or less like a 57 on the low end.

Last edited:
I like the 421 and the RE-20 for guitars. I use the 421 or the SM57 for snare. Sometimes I'll use an SDC underneath the snare.

I also have not been too thrilled with it on a cab but I think it makes an awesome snare mic....I like it more than a 57....I also have about 6 e604's which are made for drums but I still like the 609 on snare better...

You guys realize I posted this in 2005? :eek:

I think I might know my answer now... :D:D:D

What? You want me to tell you what I decided?

Hrm...

Harvey could make any of those mics sound good on a good source, I think I could too, on a good day. Mic placement and instrument quality are more important to me when recording snare and guitar. I use a 201 on both with a condenser about 3 feet out on the cab and a (insert whatever is laying around the studio) on the top of the snare with the 201 on the bottom.

long since my first post in this thread i've lost love for the 609, and gotten rid of it.

back to the 57 (and occasional the 604) as my stock guit dynamic (allways in combo with something else)
but the 201 is currently on my short list.

I'm another Sennheiser + ribbon guy.

I mainly record with a '71 Deluxe Reverb sitting on an extension cab with a 1 x 15 Weber JBL clone. I currentlyly use an e906 close on the Deluxe, with an Oktava ML53 ribbon mic about 4 feet out front. It's punchy, but nice & rich too. I much prefer the Oktava to an Apex 415 (multi-pattern LDC) set with a figure-eight, or to an or MXL 992 LDC.

I prefer the e906 to the e609 on guitar, it sounds bigger to me.

I've been using a e609 as the bottom mic on a snare lately (with a SM57 on top), I like it more with one drummer (and snare) rather than another.

You can hear clips on my myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/theflyingbordelos

Back