e609, e906, m201? Snare, Guitar?

Which mic for Electric Guitar and Snare?

• m201

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • e609

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • e906

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • md421

• md441

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • other

• Total voters

Juggernaut

I'm in need of a new mic to handle my guitar cab and snare duties, because I am sick of the terrible hat bleed of the 57 and don't perticularly care for it on guitar.

Now I know the m201 is one of the best for snare and have considered snaging one from full compass, my next mic either needs to handle both duties or I need to be able to purchase 2 mics for $300 or (prefrably) under. So Ive started looking at the e609 and e906 by sennheiser where the e609 has gotten great reviews for guitars but not too much info on guitars.

So basically has any one tried either of these mics for snare or m201 for guitar with succsess? Ive also looked at the md421 and md441 but have not been able to find many in my price range. Thanks in advance for any help to come and previous help from other threads. :D

I personally use a combo e609 and MXL901 on guitar cab...but when I get a few extra bucks, I'll probably get the md421. It just sounds so much better.

I see that a few (4 at the time) have voted for the m201, so you all think that it will work just fine on guitar as well?

David thanks for the reply have you tried your e609 on snare as well? I'm curious to see if any one has tried this.

If you dont like the sound of the e609, pdadda, what do you?

With now 5 votes on the m201 I'm starting to wonder about it. It just doesnt seem like it would be very flattering on guitar with the neer flat response that it has.

The e609's frequency curve accentuates the Lows and Highs at close micing. This essentially cuts out some of the mids. That's why I add the MXL901...to compensate.

e-606-PD.jpg

e-606-FG.jpg

Thats interesting you use another mic to get the response of your recording clooser to flat is that correct? If that was the case it would make sense that the m201 would sound good on guitar as its response while close micing accentuates only the lows. For refference:Beyer Dynamic

For me, having a mic that provids a flat frequency range for its intended instrument forces me to get the source sounding good instead. Personally, I'd rather not rely on the mic to change the sound. The same goes for my mixing board during tracking...it's always set flat.
Whether or not that is common practice, I don't know. It just sounds logical to me. :)

Hopefully, someone else with more experience (pretty much anyone :D) will chime in.

i also was fedup with the 57 on snare, especially the hihat bleed,
i replaced it by a 201 and i like it, not a world of differences but i'm keeping this one !
i've never put it in front of a guitar amp, will do some day,
but mostly i use a 421 which i find a bit better than a 57,
but i'm after a solid, hard maybe even a bit agressive guitar sound,
the sennheiser just sounds more..."solid", hard to discribe of course...

earworm, you should try using a d112 (or the like) for a harder sounding guitar sound. I love it for backing guitars, but it seems lacking in the highs for lead. If you ever get a chance to record some guitar with the m201 put it up I'd like to hear it.

For the people who have voted and have voted against the e609, any reason it cant handle both or the others are just prefered like with pdadda. If it helps the other mics I have acces to currently are a sm57, D112, MC012 (2), Baby bottle. These go through either the pres on my Digi 002 or a cheep Fender PA.

Thanks for all of your input! :)

i don't really like the 609 on gits, it's kinda thin and brittle

but i use it a lot........
because i pritty much always use 2 mics on a cab, and often enough it helps fill out the sound the way i want.

Just out of curiosity what is the other mic you use on guitar cabs, giraffe, a 57 or something else?

Thanks for the responses Im getting some Ideas, most outside my budget. :p

i have the regular e609 (pre silver). i find it to be a dark sounding mic. i love it for controling bright guitars... say i'm using a 57, and the cab sounds great, but i am having problems with the brightness, i will switch to the 609. a band i mix live has a VOX AC30 that i use it on all the time.

On snare it can sound good on a bright snare that you want to sound darker. however, it's size makes it tough to position the way i want. it's hyper cardioid, so it rejects alot of hi hat, which i like.

So this is the one you are talking about, cave? If so that could be a viable option. Placement shouldnt be too much of a problem on my set and getting rid of the hats would be a dream come true!

If I had the cash (or some one had one willing to sell cheep) I would spring for an md421 or md441, I've heard that they are much more versitail than the other mics mentioned (for whatever reason). Unfortunatly even on ebay all of the 421s are over $300 and the 441s are over $350 so I don't think they will be in my future very soon.

Samples of any of the mics mentioned would be a great starting place for me, like cave if you could post or email sample of the e609 on snare and guitar that would help tremendously. This goes for anyone who has samples of one mic one the two instruments.

Thanks again for all of your help!

xfinsterx said:
The sm57 is great for both snare and gtr IMO.
Sorry, i know that sounds like some stock ass answer, but its true.

I don't know, In my time recording, which other people maybe including you have more experience, I have heard the sm57 sound decent, fine, maybe even good, but never great. If you can some howProve me wrong, then by all means do so. Don't take this the wrong way I really do apreciate the help by all of you. :)

I recently got a great guitar sound out of a e609 and a d112 mixed together. Of course, the guy's guitar tone and everything were amazing, so it goes to show that garbage in = garbage out. Get it sounding good in the first place and it will be hard to mess up.

I have only tried the e609 on my amp/guitar combo. I thought it sounded very brittle. I prefer a 57 right on the grill with a LDC a few feet away. OK, I admit it. The LDC is use is a Behringer B1.

Cave Dweller said:
i have the regular e609 (pre silver)

the silvers are much brighter, and don't have the (3 stage) hi cut switch like the regular 609 (at least the new 609's have this, i don't know the old ones)

what goes with the 609 on git cabs.....
changes, whatever needs to.

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=161130

the git on the R (in the calmer parts, harder to pull them apart in the big parts because so many guitars)
is an e609silver and a at4033 both close mic'ed

keep in mind, i really don't like the sound of the mic, but despite that i seem to use it a lot.

Back