Debating New Mic Purchase...

guitaristic

prophet of Dave
Hey all, so I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy a Neumann tlm 102 in a few weeks or so (once I've got time to get back into recording! :D).

My current go-to mic is an M-Audio Sputnik, so would the tlm 102 be worth getting for vocals? I'd probably just be using it on that and some light percussion like cajon and bongos.

If it isn't worth getting over my Sputnik, any recommendations for a nice pair of SDCs? That is probably the weakest point in my collection now without a doubt. I'd probably have about $700 to spend on it if I didn't get the tlm 102!

SDC - go to evilbay and pick up a used pair of Oktava MK-012.

As for the 102 go to a guitar center and try one out. It's one of the few that they have in stock and out on display.

+1 on the 012s. I'd buy a pair but my sm81s cover my needs. They're both great mics IMO.

I'm not an LDC guy but I've used the 102 and briefly owned a 193.
I definitely preferred the 193 but the I pretty much always use dynamics so take that with a pinch of salt.
It does seem to be the general opinion that there are nice/more natural mics than the 102 in the price range, though.

For the price I'd encourage everyone to take a punt on an mk219/319.

So, I was just checking and the MK's are the Russian built microphones? I am new and also looking for another mic, hence the question.

Thanks, at the price entry point and the recommendations, I have to go and try one out.

I found an MK-319 on E-bay from a reputable source, 200 with case and shipping. It will take a few weeks, but I will report back. Will be interesting.

SDC - go to evilbay and pick up a used pair of Oktava MK-012.

As for the 102 go to a guitar center and try one out. It's one of the few that they have in stock and out on display.

I'm having a bit of trouble finding a standard price range for a pair of MK-012's, so I'm not exactly sure if they ones I've found on Ebay are a good deal or not lol :D I see them ranging from about $500-$650...what should I be going for?

+1 on the 012s. I'd buy a pair but my sm81s cover my needs. They're both great mics IMO.

I'm not an LDC guy but I've used the 102 and briefly owned a 193.
I definitely preferred the 193 but the I pretty much always use dynamics so take that with a pinch of salt.
It does seem to be the general opinion that there are nice/more natural mics than the 102 in the price range, though.

For the price I'd encourage everyone to take a punt on an mk219/319.

I was eyeballing the sm81's as a possibility! Have had some run-ins with them before and they were pretty awesome!

I was eyeballing the sm81's as a possibility! Have had some run-ins with them before and they were pretty awesome!

They're not exactly top of the tree but I love mine.
I feel no need to upgrade at all.

I did remove the resonator discs or whatever but the difference was hardly night and day.
If I could be bothered I'd probably put them back.

Those mics get a lot of use on acoustic guitar around here.

I have a matched pair of MK-012's I bought a long time ago for instrument recording.........but man.......they're an excellent mic and can be used in many applications. An unmatched pair should be at least $100 cheaper than a matched pair. You REALLY have to be careful on EBay. You're almost as likely to get a fake as you are the real thing when it comes to Oktava MK-012's.

I have a matched pair of MK-012's I bought a long time ago for instrument recording.........but man.......they're an excellent mic and can be used in many applications. An unmatched pair should be at least $100 cheaper than a matched pair. You REALLY have to be careful on EBay. You're almost as likely to get a fake as you are the real thing when it comes to Oktava MK-012's.

Well that part about evilbay isn't very encouraging!! :eek:

How much did you pay for yours?

Honestly.......I don't really recall for sure. I bought them at GC in LA for something like just over $400 I think. Matched pair. Over the years I've used them for pretty much everything except for bass drum close ups or other high SPL's. They'll never let you down and are worth every penny.

So I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up a pair of those K-Micro Silver Bullet mics and see what all the fuss is about! :) Can't hurt since the pair is only like $34 currently.

So I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up a pair of those K-Micro Silver Bullet mics and see what all the fuss is about! :) Can't hurt since the pair is only like $34 currently.

Those are omni though - right?
Give MShilarious a shout then. About his mini omni microphones.

The difference in prices that you are seeing on evilbay, Jon Is because of the different packages that you can get with the MK-012's lowest price has just one capsule/head ... up to four capsule/heads and pad at the highest priced package.

Those are omni though - right?
Give MShilarious a shout then. About his mini omni microphones.

The difference in prices that you are seeing on evilbay, Jon Is because of the different packages that you can get with the MK-012's lowest price has just one capsule/head ... up to four capsule/heads and pad at the highest priced package.

Oh ok. Yeah the prices were pretty variable so I was kinda confused! I looked again today and saw a pair with something like "Oktaba" written on them...think it's legit? I'll post a link.

LINK

As for the Naiant mics, they're cool but the Bullets are way cheaper :D I might just get the Bullets to mess around with for now while I save up some more cash for the the MK-012's.

:thumbs up: Can I suggest that you may have to get used to them, and they really need to have the room right around them. Then you won't believe how good they can be.

Alan.

P.S they was used on quite a few of these tracks as drum overheads, can't remember which but "true love survives" was one of them for sure.

:thumbs up: Can I suggest that you may have to get used to them, and they really need to have the room right around them. Then you won't believe how good they can be.

Alan.

P.S they was used on quite a few of these tracks as drum overheads, can't remember which but "true love survives" was one of them for sure.

p.s.s they are not from Austin, from Oz, they just want to sound like they are from Austin, LOL

Alan.

Cool! Thanks for the link!

p.s.s they are not from Austin, from Oz, they just want to sound like they are from Austin, LOL

Haha yeah I was wondering about the accent!

You also have to check out the shotgun microphones!

Similar to the silver bullets but mounted in a spent shotgun shell.

sorry can't find a link right now but a quick google search should find them.

Back