5 condenser mics... which one is better

jayphon

After a series of research, reviews, and boards/forums.. I've came up with these three.. my budget is unfortantely only $140- because I want to get some monitors... anyways, I hope you guys could give me an answer right away.. I need a condenser mic tomorrow.. tooe xcited to wait.

1. Studio Projects B1
2. Behringer B1
3. Marshall MXL 990.. I know people on this forum hates this but I couldn't stop to see the 4.8/5 rating avg. from 113 reviews... any comments or suggestions would be fine :) a mic would be for my vocals by the way..

:eek: My bad, skipped that one.

I would reccomend the Studio Projects B1 myself. Seems to have a great history as being the next mic everyone should have in their mic locker. So it's a good one to start with.
Do you play guitar, by any chance? It doesn't sound half bad on acoustic guitar either -- just another option if you decide to go with it.

SP B1 gets my vote!:D

- Justin

Jay, do you already have a mic pre and/or mixer with phantom power?

If not, my DBX 760X is up for sale at ebay for $69 (includes shipping). More details there on this dual mic pre, or
send a "PM" (private message) to me at this BBS to discuss it if you prefer.

Chris

jayphon said:
After a series of research, reviews, and boards/forums.. I've came up with these three.. my budget is unfortantely only $140- because I want to get some monitors... anyways, I hope you guys could give me an answer right away.. I need a condenser mic tomorrow.. tooe xcited to wait.

1. Studio Projects B1
2. Behringer B1
3. Marshall MXL 990.. I know people on this forum hates this but I couldn't stop to see the 4.8/5 rating avg. from 113 reviews... any comments or suggestions would be fine :) a mic would be for my vocals by the way..

For vocals, spend $79 on an SM57. I bet it's better than any of those listed.

A number of respected AE's like the B1,
including Mike Rivers and Dot.

It would most likely be better on more singers than the other two condenser choices.
I know from personal experience the B1 "EQ's"
well, so it's pretty flexible in tone.

With $140 he could get both the B1 AND a used
SM57 (for around $60).

Chris

sm57?? yuk, leave it out. get one if you wanna know what they sound like, but really, unless you're Spinal Tap IMVHO you don't wanna be using one for vocals really. or at least not if you have a voice like mine!!! the SP B1 is a safe bet, or a Sennheiser dynamic.

MARSHAL MXL 2003.. TERRIBLE.. i wouldn't try that.. I heard some people try the Marchall MXL 990, and it didn't come out half bad. The salesman was really apt for everyone to listen since it was really underrated because of the price... I guess people generally skip over it.. Shure sm57.. hmm.. I'm looking at condensers since I heard it's better for recording than dynamics, which are better for live performances...

studio projects b1.. :) or behringer b1 or behringer b3 ?

I came down to those 2 or 3.. let's go guys.. oh gyea.. which website should I buy it off of?

jayphon said:
hmm.. I'm looking at condensers since I heard it's better for recording than dynamics, which are better for live performances...

Tell that to anyone who owns a MD421 or 441 or any other number of great dynamic mics that get used for recording every day.:rolleyes:

jayphon, your not going to get a Gibson Les Paul guitar for only $140... and your only going to get a cheap Chinese made type condenser mic or something for only $140. You may want to at least listen to some dynamic mics before you rule them out.

i already have a shuresm58.. but on a condenser, my voice did sounded different.. i guess I'm trying to be open miinded and try both sides... wells, if you guys don't mind back to the original thread...

studio projects b1? .. or marshall MXL 990 *ive heard so many good reviews on this, its disturbing*

and one more.. is the behringer b1 any good? and whats a good website that does accept money order.. i might as well order online since they can also give me the shockmount... :) thanks everyone

[EDIT] sorry guys.. when i said the 2003 get sucky reviews, i meant the 2001.. anyways, there goes another model... i saw a mxl2003 for $130.. is that ALOT better than the mxl990?

Last edited:
Don't get the Behringer B-1. It's not the same as the SP B1 and it's not very good. If you absolutely had to get a super-cheap LDC I'd say the Samson one, but really I would get an SP, MXL or (based on my actual experience) and SE Electronics one.

Yeah, come to think of it...
I have an MXLv67g that I got for 70 bucks. They go on eBay for 80 or so, maybe you'll find one cheap.

It's a pretty dark mic, but it does sound good to me! A great starter mic, IMO.

$0.02

I bought my V67M and shockmount from a HR member, and I think my $70 was well spent. I wanted a Dark/Colored complement to my AT4040. My intent for the V67M is a specialty mic, rather than the daily go-to first choice.

Back