Wireless systems

jndietz

The Way It Moves
Anyone know a good wireless system that is still reasonably priced? Those Shure ones are a few hundred dollars and not looking to spend that much (yet).

Thanks!

We use wireless mics at church. The biggest thing about the wireless is to get programable UHF with dual receivers (two antenna). The brand is not that important. Always start with fresh alkyline batteries.

AudiaTechnica, Shure, Samson, Seinhauser are all good brands. I would figure at spending about $150.

The Nady was actually the first company to market wireless systems. If they have a UHF system, it'll probably be cheaper... But for good reason. Their stuff isn't always up to par with some other brands.

I've bought used systems off Ebay with excellent results. You might try there first. Even it the antenna are broke off the receiver, you can replace them.

I was just looking at a couple places - MF & Sweetwaters, and it looks like like a good uhf system is $400-$600! ouch!

This goes without saying, but is especially true with wireless systems....you get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay a good amount of money for a decent wireless, just use a longer cable. You're only killing your tone by using a crap wireless unit.

This goes without saying, but is especially true with wireless systems....you get what you pay for. If you don't want to pay a good amount of money for a decent wireless, just use a longer cable. You're only killing your tone by using a crap wireless unit.

Yep, a fifty foot $80 cable sounds better than any $250 wireless

Yep, a fifty foot $80 cable sounds better than any $250 wireless

yep. In my time at GC we did a wireless test. I took a '54 alnico LP and a Marshall JTM45 and put the best wireless systems through their paces...

The difference was night and day... even the most expensive wireless systems we had in the store sucked out all $20k (or whatever it was at the time) worth of gorgeous tone from the rig. It might has well have been a squier starter pack.

I will never.... ever, no matter how inconvenient a cable may be, use a wireless system based on what we heard that day.

AKG makes some great wireless systems for low prices...They make one for $170 that has good range and doesn't affect tone much at all.

yep. In my time at GC we did a wireless test. I took a '54 alnico LP and a Marshall JTM45 and put the best wireless systems through their paces...

The difference was night and day... even the most expensive wireless systems we had in the store sucked out all $20k (or whatever it was at the time) worth of gorgeous tone from the rig. It might has well have been a squier starter pack.

I will never.... ever, no matter how inconvenient a cable may be, use a wireless system based on what we heard that day.

yea, but i dont think thats true, i mean all big bands use them, and their live tones always sound incredible

If I thought for a second that wireless fucked my tone,I would not use one.That argument is complete buulshit.The benefits far outway the pit
falls.
My Rivera sounds awesome either way.Anyone that claims to hear a diiference is full of shit.I could do an A/b recording of the 2 right now,
and no one here would be able to tell the difference between them.

To whom it may concern:

Use a wireless if it makes you happy. Nobody cares about your tone. Besides that, nobody will ever notice your tone when you mix your guitar sound together with your out of tune screechy vocals blasting way too loud through your crappy distorting PA.

To whom it may concern:

Use a wireless if it makes you happy. Nobody cares about your tone. Besides that, nobody will ever notice your tone when you mix your guitar sound together with your out of tune screechy vocals blasting way too loud through your crappy distorting PA.

You are sadly mistaken sir.Every time, with out fail,that I play "wonderful tonight" the redneck assholes that enjoy dancing to that POS always ask
about my tone and what I use to get it.
As a player,nothing gives me more gratification than some biker guy saying
"Hey man, yall fuckin rock" as he bends down to scoop his ole ladies teeth off of the daince flow!That is just good clean fucking fun!

There are ways in which a wireless can be detrimental to your tone. They do not present the same load to your pickups, and of course they do not pass the load changes to your amp the way a cable does.

To translate that; if you are a cable straight to the amp guy, it will change your tone and will drastically change the way your amp responds to your touch and you volume control. (If you have ever turned an old Deluxe or Champ up to 10, you know what I'm talking about.) This is mostly an issue if you are using a non-master volume amp, and the simpler your amp the more it will matter (it will not matter nearly so much on a Silver Face Twin as on a Tweed Twin, for instance).

If, however, you have any effects in between your guitar and your amp, then a wireless won't hurt anything, and it will act as a buffer amp for your old fashion analog effects (Fuzz Faces, Wha-whas, etc.) which load down your pickups and kill the highs. If you are using anything fairly modern (any Boss effect, for instance) that has a built in buffer, it won't matter much, although some people with seriously good ears will tell you wireless units lack dynamic range. I've never played with them enough to notice.

Oh, and to the guy who said professionals all use wireless, not even close. I work as a stage hand, and I'm up on a lot of big stages. About half the guitar players use wireless, the other half use cables. It comes down to what each guy prefers. Most blues guys use cables, Rock guys tend towards wireless (though not always) and Country guys are about 50/50. And that is just the guys doing big tours. Most proffesional musicians I know (defined in the only way that matters - they make their living playing music) would never bother with a wireless, as it makes no sense when the stage is only shorter than your 20 foot cable.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Oh, and to the guy who said professionals all use wireless, not even close.

Agreed. I have not once seen a professional band use cables.

:confused:

Most of the shows I go to are metal and hard rock, which are very energetic, so a wireless system is pretty much a necessity.

There's no doubt in my mind that guys that seriously focus on their live tone refuse to go wireless, however the 3 best live tones I've heard (and have actually experienced) have been Frooshe's from RHCP, Mark Engeles', from Dredg, and John Mayer's, and they were all wireless. Now I'm not saying their tone wouldn't be any better with cables, 'cause it might be, but if you can manage tones like that with a wireless, why the hell not?

Back